Brand new Litter Robot III smells really bad

Hi,

I recently purchased a Litter Robot III via the Robotshop website #791996 (Web #1300029521 Ordered on 12/3/2018 ). I have been using it for 2 days, and my 2 young cats are already used to it and use it perfectly.

However, it smells of cat ■■■■ in the hallway where the Litter Robot stands. It smells really bad. If I ‘sniff’ the machine, the stench seems to be coming from the top of the device, between the globe and the housing the globe is rotating in.

What could be the problem causing the smell? It is a brand new device, so that can not be the issue. Can you please help?

Regards,

Daphne de Klerk

1 Like

Hi Daphne,

If the stench is coming from the top, it means the stench is coming from the trap where the used litter drop in the drawer.
It is possible the litter that you are using doesn’t clump enough before the cycle starts and the urine stays on the inside of the globe.

• Make sure to use clumping litter
  • Make sure to fill the globe to the filling line
  • You can adjust the cycling timer. You can read more on this in your user guide

Thanks so much for your reply.

Unfortunately, I’ve tried a lot of things with regard to these options before posting. This is pretty much what I’ve done:

• There is enough litter in the machine (I used the line in the lining as a reference).
  • I use a clumping litter (that I used before in a regular box; great results), and
  • I have tested multiple times with 30, 50 and 150 ml of water in combination with cycling after 7 minutes. In all cases: dry lining. I have also smelled the inside of the globe, and the lining does not smell. So I feel there is no need to adjust the time to 15 minutes…

So I also believe what you said at first: that somehow the stench is coming from the drawer where the used litter is collected. But how…?

Hi, did you manage to find the problem? I have the exact same issue and all i get is advices on how to clean and change the parts, even if it’s 4 days old. Thank you

1 Like

I’m having the same problem, how did you resolve your issue bc my home did not have that smell until I opened the box

1 Like

I have the same issue with my brand new litter-robot. The apt. smells like cat poop… :frowning: Wondering if I should simply return the machine since I’m not satisfied.

1 Like

Did anyone find a solution to this problem? I have a brand new litter robot that started to smell a couple days after my cats started used it. Seems like the odor is coming from the drawer. Everything else on it is clean.

1 Like

Hello @Jennifermiller,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

Did you check the carbon filter inside the drawer?

Also, check if the drawer is well fitted inside the base or there’s something keeping it a bit opened.

Finally, make sure that you are using the correct type of litter.

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,

The filter is brand new. Everything is dry and I’m using clumping litter.

1 Like

Have you checked if the drawer isn’t closed well enough?

There are two metallic parts that allow the drawer to hang on them and fit properly inside the base to prevent any smell leakage.

I don’t know what you mean. I have the litter robot 3 connect. I line up the drawer with the base (theres a ridge in the center of the base) and push the drawer in until it’s all the way closed. It seems like theres only one way to do it?

1 Like

Hello @Jennifermiller,

If the waste drawer is closed properly from both sides when you put it inside the base then it’s not the issue.

Please check this blog to help you with the smell:

Let us know if it fixed the issue.

Sincerely,

Did you ever get a fix for this?

Hello @Meaghan17 ,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your Litter-Robot.

Please provide us with a description of the issue that you are having with your robot.

Also, please confirm if any of your cats like to pee while standing up.

Awaiting your reply.

Sincerely,