Bad smell from Litter Robot (4)

Besides the cat sensor that doesn’t work properly I have the same problem regarding the bad smell. I noticed that the smell doesn’t come from inside the globe but from the bottom where the waste drawer sits. Even empty it stinks; after just one week the plastic took the smell. I never had problems with odor with my old regular litter box. I cleaned everything a couple of times but after just one day of usage you can’t take the smell. Went through the whole troubleshooting but nothing helps.

2 Likes

Same problem. Waste drawer doesn’t fit the base properly. Smell gets out all the time.
I wrote in this forum in DECEMBER! No solution since!! No one writes back. You can’t contact the support directly… great service.

1 Like

I have the same problem and already wrote this in the forum! No one replied and I really need to get in touch with support because this is a warranty issue. My waste drawer stinks, constantly. I even get the feeling that the waste drawer doesn’t fit the base properly. There is a gap where the bad smell gets out and the whole apartment stinks since I have this.

1 Like

Hello @Ijhana,

Welcome back to RobotShop community.

We are sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your Litter-Robot.

Did you check the manufacturer’s reply?

We have contacted the manufacturer about this issue and this was their reply:

There is no difference in plastics between the Connect and Non-connect models, and no change to the plastic materials used.
So there should be nothing that has changed that would affect the plastic’s ability to absorb smell.

Maybe this would help:

More often than not, the type/brand of litter makes the biggest difference for odor control. For example, Plant-based litters tend to form looser clumps than alternatives. This can cause condensation in the waste drawer, which causes more odor and corrosion of nearby components.
If you use plant-based litter, we recommend changing the bag and cleaning more frequently. We find the best results from a standard-weight, unscented, clay clumping litter.

These are the compatible types of litter:
The Litter-Robot litter sifting system requires a clumping type litter to work properly.

We recommend a high-quality clay-based clumping litter such as Litter-Robot™ brand premium clumping litter. Litter beads, and crystals may also be used with the Litter-Robot as long as the beads and crystals are small enough to pass through the screen – periodic changing of this type of litter is required.

Litters that DO NOT work in the Litter-Robot are the strictly absorbent, non-clumping litters, newspaper based litters, loose clumping litters, and absorbent wood-based pellets.

Let us know if you needed further assistance.

Sincerely,

1 Like

I had a similar issue with my litter robot. I was using Dr. Elsey litter which was recommended. I clean the entire globe and drawer, then I switched to Fresh Step with Gain and I couldn’t believe the difference!! Dr. Elsies is recommended by everybody in terms of comping an odor control, it just doesn’t work with the litter robot. The fresh step is amazing and even when I change the bag in the drawer I smell almost nothing!!

Hello @Tspin,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Sincerely,

I have a similar problem of smelly waste drawer. 2 cats.
I change the bag every 3 days, change the filter every month, clean the entire unit very month, and spray lysol into base and waste drawer after cleaning. You can find black charcoal filters on Amazon in bulk and cheaper. Just have to cut them to fit. Worth the search.
Also have an auxiliary litter pan always nearby for “whatever”.
Also, I use baking soda sprinkled on the waste in-between bag changes. Helps, but there is always a smell when drawer is opened.
Hot weather exasperates anything - so if you’re in a hot weather climate - good luck.
Gonna try the Fresh Step w/Gain suggestion by the previous poster.

2 Likes

I don’t have a Problem with the litter and as I am writing since DECEMBER I can assure you I have tried any recommendations there are.
My litter robot stinks and the smell comes from the drawer & base. And it accrued only a short time after its arrival. In addition, as I alreadY wrote: THE DRAWER doesn’t even fit properly anymore. There is a gap! So recommendations regarding a better litter are nice but don’t solve my problem. Imagine how it’s like with an open drawer in your flat! I bought so many sprays, pearls and what else there is to cover the scent in the drawer but no chance. The whole thing just doesn’t seal properly and never has.
It’s really beyond frustrating that I read about this problem countless times in this forum and most of the time someone asks for the order ID or forwards this to technical services or however it is called. I have the same problem as so many others but have to repeat and repeat and repeat myself. Great tactic to avoid my problem being solved during my warranty period. Please get in touch with a solution = process my written claim. Others seem to get one instantly! Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Hello @Ijhana,

Thank you for your reply.

Please provide us with your order number and a picture of the gap that you have mentioned.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Cant you guys add a bit litter in the bag before using so poop land in the litter in the bag which will prevent smell?

Hello @AutobotVu ,

Welcome to RobotShop community.

The waste should be covered by litter during the cleaning process as the robot cycle.

However, adding a little bit of litter + Baking soda could help with the smell issues.

Sincerely,

1 Like

Ours smelled awful the first few days too. We quickly switched to Dr. Elsey’s Ultra and set it to 15 minutes and haven’t had any major smell issues since then.
I also bought a carbon air filter and fan someone else here recommended (I’ll find the link if you’re interested) and that takes care of any residual smells.

2 Likes

That will only work if it’s in a smaller space, though.

2 Likes