A-pod, an ant inspired hexapod

Hi,

The code I used for A-Pod is an earlier version of Xan’s v2.0 code. As soon as Xan has released the v2.0 code, I’ll start working more on the A-Pod code. I’ll probably release the A-Pod code when I’m done with it, there are still a lot of improvements to do before I’m satisfied.

The principles are pretty basic: Move the head using FK, rotate the body using the FK values as a input base for the rotation kinematics.

I feel the pressure on my shoulders… :wink:

It’s just a matter of connecting the last loose ends. A new vid will be posted this weekend or the next. I’ll send the new code to Jim the same day. Hold on guys :slight_smile:

Hurry Xan… Hurry… :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue:

Aarrghh…

:wink:

Hi,

Just for your information I did some measuring of the current draw for A-Pod, like I did for T-Hex.

Result:

Standing on all legs: ~2,3 Amps
Walking: 3,8 - 4,1 ~Amps
Standing while holding a 0,33 liter soda can: ~3,1 Amps
Body and head movement/rotations while holding can: ~4,6 Amps
Walking with can: ~4,8 - 5,1 Amps

Interesting results! It appears that the standing current is different for the three bots, but the walking current is about the same. Simply put the heavier bots take more current to just stand still, but when walking all the servos are drawing around the same current. 8)

I’m not sure if the multimeter is the best tool to measure the current drawn while walking though. The values seems to vary alot. I’m pretty sure there are some higher peaks that don’t show on the multimeter. Anyway, the result gives you a little picture of whats going on.

For observing rapid voltage changes I use my old analog multimeters, with the very cheap one with an undampened needle being the best.

Yes thanks for making the measurements for us! I think this surprised everyone.

Yeah, thats a good tip. I believe my dad have an old analog multimeter laying around, I’ll ask him next time. Or using an oscilloscope would be even better.

Your welcome! Yeah they did surprise me. But after all its the total run/walk time you’ll get from one battery cycle that counts at the end. Pushing the limits for the LiPo’s worries me a bit though.

How much will the A-pod kit cost? Also what is the payload for the A-pod?

viewtopic.php?p=57632#p57632

:laughing:

Jim - I was searching for that post… The question **immediately **made me think of that answer. I had shared your response with friends and family; do I have permission to use it in other situations? :wink:

dj

How much did this project cost you?

To be honest, I’m not sure.
But it did cost me a lot of time though…

Do the math and check the cost of:

**23x645MG servos
2xTowardPro MG996R servos(mandibles)
BB2
BAP24
SSC32
2x Turnigy 8A UBEC
5100 mAh racing LiPo
1 FSR
RC receiver
DIY RC remote
1,5xASB-04 (1,5 = 3 single brackets)
1,5xASB-09
7x PSH-04 (6 for the legs and 1 for the abdomen)

• alot of custom made parts, ABS texture plastic, aluminium, hex nut screws (3 and 4 mm), wires etc…**.

I’ll guess some of the parts would be hard to set the right price though.

You mean how much it can lift/carry?

He is able to lift a 0,5 liter soda can. 0,33 liter can are recommended though. A 0,33 liter soda can weight 362 gram.

Hi,

I just wanted to update you with some pictures I took last summer of A-Pod. I took him outdoor to the wilderness…

Currently I’ve started working on the code again for XBee control. I’ll post more info when I’ve done some more progress.

You are my guru!!! Wonderfull!!! Very very great project!!!

In italian… BELLISSIMO!!! :slight_smile:

Now I wont learn the max possible in this forum to build a project like yours!!!
My idea is a mantis!!! But…it’s only an idea! Before I must understent how to program my AL5A Robot ARM :blush:

Hi Zenta,

Those pictures look great! However I think I might run away if I saw something like that peeking out at me from under a rock. :laughing:

Kurt

Alrighty… :open_mouth: 8) Excellent pictures!