A-pod, an ant inspired hexapod

Zenta, this bot of yours is BEYOND BEAUTIFUL!!!

I think it’s only a matter of time before you will be full surrounded with robotic creatures of all shapes and sizes!

:smiley:

Thanks for your nice word Tom Chang!
I do hope I get time for more robots in the future. :wink:

Was on youtube the other day and checked out the A-Pod video. I was amazed to see the views at over half a million! I’m not sure what the definition of a viral video is, but half a million has to be close!

The most views I have ever received on one of my videos was like 70k… Half a million, wow, just wow!

I clicked back through some of the 2600 comments on it. Surprised to see the accusations that it was CGI or stop motion animation over and over again. Hehe! Totally amazing!

Yeah it made it to the Youtube Spot light on the main home page which caused a frenzy. It was a fantastic video demonstration that shows the POWER of the Atom! :laughing:

Hi Jim,

I was pretty amazed myself too, way over mine expectations! :laughing: Its even been on Russian TV… And I get alot of questions where to buy it. There is a very good statistics function (Insight) in youtube where you can see how people find the video and 31% of all viewers found the video on the youtube mainpage. Ones the video became a spotlight/featured video the countings went to the roof and the video was spread on very many popular blogs and websites like Geekologie, Hackaday, Make: Online ++ :open_mouth:

Yeah that was pretty fun to see that there where so many people thinking it was fake. :unamused:

I just read the reader comment #3 on Geekologie:

:laughing:
Now I got fake shadows in my livingroom too! 8)

I think guys they say its a fake are not realy familiar with robotics or only common envious. Nice work Zenta keep them up.

Greatings
Matthias

Zenta, when someone calls you video a fake when everyone know its true is a real complement. This means that what he is seeing goes beyond the imagination.

Fantastic work

Thanks to you both Tolisn and ExMachina!

I’m just finished doing some mechanical reinforcements to the legs. I just have to recalibrate them. I’ll post more info later (soon going for a summer vacation).

The main problem for A-pod when walking was the flexibilty of each leg combined with a relative high weigth and how the mass are distributed. The relative large and heavy head and abdomen makes A-pod more unstable than just having a small body with the all the mass more centered. So I don’t think A-Pod will have the same smooth walking movement as Phoenix did, but I’ll try to do my best.

Hi,

I thought it was time for a little update about A-Pod. As mentioned before, I’ve done some minor reinforcements to the legs and rebuilt the abdomen joint. The abdomen 2 DOF joint uses 2x 645MG.

Here are two pictures showing the legs with double femur parts and a bracket for stabilizing the femur servo. This made the legs much more stable.

Two pictures of the new abdomen joint. I’m using the molded injection hinge from LM and a custom plastic bracket for mounting the two servos together.

And here are some new pictures of A-Pod:

I’ve not done anything with the code yet. I wont post any new vids before I’m satisfied with the walking part. It walks much better now but the code need some changes I’ll post more about that later. I’m still working with some outdoor projects and therefore I’ve had very little time for robotics. Hopefully later this autumn.

Hi Zenta,

Your changes look great! Can not wait for the new video!

Kurt

Hi Zenta,

I love it how you managed to reinforce the femur and abdomen and still keep the design elegant. Great job as always!

Xan

Fantastic work. The quality of your construction is amazing. I just used the Lynxmotion injection molded hinge bracket for my next biped, and it was a nice secure tight fit. Once it’s on, it’s on, so getting it right was important! :laughing:

Hi KÃ¥re,

As always, an excellent job! You’ve created a really aggressive looking ant there!

Are you saying you used TWO '645 servos at the hip (tandem)?

The Femurs look really stout now. Good application of the hinge.

OK I have an embarrassing question. I built up my hexapod about two years ago (that long?), and used hinges in the tibias. The ‘C’ leg build describes using the double sided sticky foam pads, but I only “glued” them to the hinge, not to the servos. Maybe that’s the intent? I wanted to be able to change the servos without having to tear apart the hinge/servo. I’ve since changed servos. What’s the opinion here?

Alan KM6VV

You should remove both sides of the foam tape. There is no structural integrity if the tape is not making contact with both the hinge and the servo.

Replacing the servo can be a bit of a pain, as you may have to scrape off the residue. But the tape is the same stuff as you can find at a Staples or Office Max. 3M makes good tape!

PERFECT IF I MAY SAY SO MYSELF!
Nice work. 8)

OK,

That’s why I had to ask. This round of changes I’ll probably do just that. I can certainly see why the integrity would be compromised. But what a mess! Goes against my “I might want to disassemble this sometime…” policy.

What about a little lip on both ends to keep servo from slipping? Probably not enough. Certainly was easier to remove and change the servo by slipping it out of the hinge!

Realy amazing work , again :exclamation:

Can’t await the release of the new code sources for V2.

Thanks to all of you for nice comments, highly appreciated!

No, I used two 645 in the 2 DOF Abdomen joint. :wink:

Well, thats up to Xan… :wink:

A true pro,
elite of the elite.
you might say…
…Second to none!

great work.

hi mate,
just wondering if you are releasing your code. not all of it!
im having some problems getting my IK/FK for a head so im not after everything. any help would be great.

thanks again.