A-pod, an ant inspired hexapod

thats a very nice idea. would be great to add video demonstration to the tutorials?

It’s not progressing much I’m afraid. We set it aside to work on T-Hex. We also have been spending a lot of time on the new website. Hopefully we will be able to get the new kits going later this year. Our A-Pod kit will not look exactly like Zentas A-Pod. It will be made with aluminum not ABS plastic, so the parts will not be so roundy, smoothy, curvy…

In other words… sharpy, shinny, metalicy… :smiley:

Awesome work ,ur my hero :smiley:

I have a one question about ARC32.
I control my hexapod, I want to use sensors in it, this controller can be a programmer to use sensors, or it only controls the s.ervo and nothing else?

Tanks !

The Arc32 is a general purpose controller, so yes it can connect sensors up to it.

Kurt

I just came over this rather old youtube video:

Looks like A-Pod became popular in India too. :laughing:

I really liked the spider (4 legs?) in the video!

Alan KM6VV

yes there is a video of that spider robot on the web. its very fast.

well done zenta.

i love the way Robot is pronounced by the narrator. :laughing:

Yes, I really like that 'bot! i see some kind of tether, probably power is external, maybe computation too? I’d like more information.

Alan KM6VV

as not to flood this thread iv posted this:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7474

I think that’s a antenna, look very carefully as it rolls over and flips about.

Update, we have made great progress on the A-Pod. We should have images later this week… 8)

later this week!! :cry:

ARh, Man 'you really know how to make the week seem even longer. :wink:
look forward to it.

To all A-Pod fans!

I think its about time to release the original A-Pod code for BAP28. Its based on Xan’s V2.0 Phoenix code. Heavily modified with great help from Kurt (early version of XBee API mode). At this moment the code only support DIY remote (XBee), its gonna take me some time to convert it for PS2 control. I might need to remove some features in the PS2 code. I’m not sure though, I’m not the biggest fan of that controller…

A-Pod has the following functionality:

;DIY CONTROLS: ; - Left Stick (WalkMode) Body Height / Rotate ; (Translate Mode) Body Height / Rotate body Y ; (Rotate Mode) Body Height / Rotate body Y ; (Single leg Mode) Move Tars Y ; ; - Right Stick (WalkMode) Walk/Strafe ; (Translate Mode) Translate body X/Z ; (Rotate Mode) Rotate body X/Z ; (Single leg Mode) Move Tars X/Z ; ; - Left Slider Speed ; ; - A Walk Mode ; |- 1-3 Switch gaits ; - B Translate Mode ; - C Rotate Mode ; - 1 |- HeadTracking ; - 2 |- FixedHead ; - 3 |- HeadOnly ; - 6 |- Toogle left joystick up/down function (Z travel or Z translate) ; - D Single Leg Mode ; - 1-6 |- Switch legs ; ; - E Balance Mode on/off ; ; - 0 Turn on/off the bot ; ; - 7 Toogle Full Range mode for head rotation ; - 8 Toogle Right slider mode (Leglift heigth or mandible torque)

Tripod gait without balancemode is recommended.
Headtracking mode gives a very natural body movement combined with (forward/backward)Z-translation.
Left stick-potmeter control body height and the right stick-pot control the mandibles.
The right slider potmeter control the leg lift height or the mandible torque. I feel the the torque control of the mandibles could be coded better, but it work ok though.
The abdomen control is pretty neat. Its the positions of the rear legs combined with body height and pitch rotation that define the position of the abdomen. Only two lines of code does the magic, also the actual leg position needs to be found, RealPosXX:

AbdomPanAngle1 = (RR_RealPosX-LR_RealPosX)*c1DEC/3 AbdomTiltAngle1 = - 2*BodyRotX1 + 150 - (BodyPosY*5 + (RR_RealPosY + LR_RealPosY-30)/4)MAX 300

Feel free to post any Q’s about the code.
A-Pod XBee API code.zip (34.7 KB)

How about support for Futaba 7C R/C control?

We’ve been talking about it.

Alan KM6VV

In case someone are subscribing to this topic:

I did some work last month on the Phoenix code to make A-Pod work for PS-2 control, the code can be downloaded from here: lynxmotion.com/images/html/build184.htm

Hey Zenta,

what do you think if you didn’t have to use the BAP and you used something with some real horsepower like a faster arduino? I’m just surprised how much you made that first Apod video do a couple years ago just running a single 16mhz processor… fantastic work!

PS Alan,
I also have a t7c its a fantastic controller, take a look at the code I emailed you earlier as what I’m planning on doing with my phoenix. I’m using that Er9x transmitter though and I have 8 channels to abuse!
basicly a small teensy2.0 with some c code on it that converts the pulsin values to a single serial string, the code can afford to be sloppy “im still learning” because thats the only thing the teensy is doing pwm -> serial.

Zenta did that with the co-bap on his phoenix a while ago… I think right?

Aaron,

the teensy is a cool idea, but the DIY board is already available!

store.diydrones.com/product_p/br-ppme.htm

Also has some fail-safe that would be good for Quad-rotor heli.

I’m still trying to learn the T7C sufficiently to program it for my new Align T-REX 450 heli!

Alan KM6VV

What Arduino are you referring to? FYI they are also 16MHz…

If I should consider an upgrade it would be something like a PIC32 UNO/MAX, Propeller or the not yet released 32 bit Arduino.