1st Post & Below Beginner Status

This is the model, to which I am developing my project.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9cFqU4svOw
Some may not even consider it remotely a robot.
I have completed all the mechanicals, now I need help with the gearmotor.
I have attempted to understand the Torque tutorials, but can’t seem to translate them to my application. This is the gearmotor I am considering.

https://www.robotshop.com/products/dc-brushless-worm-gear-motor-2430bl-robots-12v-13rpm
Below is a very simplified schematic, of the load package.
I have eliminated the linkage; assuming the gearmotor directly to the shaft would require the most torque.
Any comments would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @jobber !

Maybe you can assume that your project is a simple robotic arm with only one joint and use this torque calculator:

I’ve converted your units to metric ones and put it into the calculator and here is what I get (I don’t know the weight of the tube shaft):

This seems to be the worst case scenario (lifting weight at 90 degrees). How does this look to you?

Thank you for the torque calculator link. It appears more complicated than some of the others, i looked at here. My design is not lifting any weight though. It is just twisting it CW/CCW.
As I have not specified a gearmotor, there is just a place holder “block”. Please see screen shot.

1 Like

Hi @jobber ,

This does look much complicated.

At this point, if I were you, I would just go with choosing one motor (for example the one you already choose), not spending too much time on calculations.

By using it, you will get a feeling about the torque (if it is underrated or overrated).

I solved my problem, sort of.
I don’t need to know anything about torque.
I need to understand hydrodynamic drag Cd.
I have revist gearmotor output RPM, and transpose to a velocity.

I know there are two torques for gearmotors - rated and stall.
How close to stall can you operate a gearmotor without damage? Duty cycle?

1 Like

I think that if you are getting closer and closer to stall, it is more likely that your motor performance will decrease, and lifetime of the motor will probably decrease.

Even in stall, you will not damage the motor immediately, but for longer time you will. I think if you run it near stall torque, same applies.

I recalculated the torque values based on hydrodynamic drag.
The tedious part constantly changing between metric and imperial.
Distance and mass are about the extent of my metric knowledge.
To understand anything else I need imperial units.
Then converting PRM to MPH as a final output, I require.
I am rotating a virtual triangle. The apex is near 0 MPH, and increasing the farther away.
To approximate a “worstest” condition, I used the drag coefficient of a square bar (2.0 Cd) vs. the 0.6-1.0 Cd of cylinder. Then increased other parameters by 50%.
This resulted in half the rated running torque. Stall is 4X that.
The only missing puzzle piece it the duty factor/cycle of the E-S Motor 12V 2430BL series.

Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Hu @jobber ,

To get this info about the motor, you can contact our vendor directly on the product page:

Hu,
Thanks. I have [2] “open” tickets since 19/1/24, regarding both the E-S Motor gearmotor and their controller (green).
I asked for the ambient temperature range and duty cycle for both. No responses yet.

1 Like

Hi @jobber ,

Probably there is a delay in reply because of the Chinese New Year.