Xmas Lights Tester

So, you accidentally stick a regular clear bulb in your Christmas lights (fairy lights [US] ?) instead of a fuse bulb. Next time there's a bit of a surge, there's no discernable weak point in your circuit and it takes out more than one bulb. Where do you start debugging that?

Sure, you could sit with a multimeter and probe all the bulbs to find the duff ones. Have you ever tried to attach multimeter probes to a fairy light bulb?!?! It's a nightmare. Specially when you only have 8 fingers and two thumbs.

My bulbs have these little skimpy connectors and I think they're enamelled, so you'd be really lucky to get a closed circuit even with a good bulb.

XmasLamp.jpg

XmasLampsTester.jpg

Knickers to that. Chop one of the bulb holders out of the set and attach it onto a pair of 4mm banana plugs. Test all 40 bulbs in about 2 minutes. Patch the bulbholder back in. As it happens, 11 of them were blown (not bad!) and I only had 5 spares. So the whole set went into file #13 (the garbage).

What are fairy lights?
What are fairy lights?

Hmmmm

I was trying to disambiguate for my American cousins across the pond. The strings of Christmas lights which come out once a year for those who celebrate Christmas.

No one in America says Fairy
No one in America says Fairy Lights unless maybe "their door swings the other way".

Re-use?
I keep trying to think of another use to put a string of Christmas lights to, or the wire. Ready made sockets, and I believe the bulbs pull out of the bases if the wires are straightened. Possibly insert LEDs, and run a group string on a different voltage?

Yeah

Me too. Trouble is that to be under MCU control it would probably need to be low voltage. These bulbs can run 140mA at 2.5V if you have a 100 light set. If 10 of them are on at the same time, that’s 1.4 amps. That’s gonna need a heck of a sized PSU.

I have a couple of LED chains running of a 2x AA cells. They weren’t terribly expensive, either.

What’s a “Duff”?
Fairy lights? Christmas Lights? Oh, you mean Solstice lights…

I hadn’t thought of that! I

I hadn’t thought of that! I have a strand I’ve been dreading to test, now I feel a bit better :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice new icon btw :slight_smile:

Festivals
Are you one of those non-religionists? (That’s for a different thread, me thinks.)

Sure, you could sit with a

Sure, you could sit with a multimeter and delving all the bulbs to acquisition the duff ones. Accept you anytime approved to attach multimeter probes to a bogie ablaze bulb?!?! It’s a nightmare. Specially if you alone accept 8 fingers and two thumbs.

Exactly
Which is why I soldered a bulb holder to my multimeter.