X,Y,Z...........

Hey guys…

I think I get it, but can someone cover the X,Y,Z basics for me? After playing with RIOS for a couple of weeks now it is all starting to make sense to me. To spare myself from potentially looking like a moron I will not explain my concept of how it works.

A quick rundown (if possible) for confirmation would be awesome.

Thanks!

-Stack

No need to feel silly. The other guys here can probably answer you better, since I’m more of an R/C kind of guy than software, but I was under the impression it is simply the 3 axis. For instance, Y axi being up and down, x being left and right, and Z being Forward and backwards. Maybe not in those definitions but just basically the 3 axis of motion of the arm.

I just got my SSC-32, Rios and SEQ software so I’ve only began tinkering with it. I’m using it on my own homemade arm on a rover. The rios is doing the trick and I’m having fun programming stuff as well.

yea, thats basically it, just like a quadralertal graph in math (i think thats what its called, dont really pay attention to the specifics :laughing:) but there is x with is left to right, y which is up and down, and z, which pops out toward you like if you put a pencil pointing straight up on the desk…or there was a hole in the desk for some reason

I trhink you’re thinking of cartesian coordinates.

…well its basically the same thing coorect? because you haver a set orgin in space, and from that origin you want to go to other point in space…correct?

No, silly, that’s a map!
:unamused:

…watever :laughing:

Cool … thanks guys.

My notion of the XYZ was on track.

Nothing like robotics to make you realize you’re not as smart as you once thought! :slight_smile:

Anyway… back to tinkering.

Thanks again!

I do find it strange that Y is the height? I figured X-Y would be like on a plotter and Z the height. Odd but I guess I can work with it.

Question? what does LOCK X or y z or W do? other than turn a box red?

Cartesian coordinate systems vary a lot, depending on the system you are using. Terms like “left-hand rule” are often used to determine how the axes are referenced.

Similar to your thinking about plotters, most of the references I have seen to CNC routers refer to the bed and/or gantry travel as the X and Y axes, and the tool height as Z.

A 3D rendering program I use, on the other hand, uses X and Y to refer to “right” and “up” directions, as viewed on the monitor screen, and Z is the “in” direction for depth.