X/Y Plotter in a Box

Hey folks,

Here is one I did just for fun. Yup, its a whole X/Y plotter and yup, its in a box! Woo Hoo!

Its a pretty simple setup, the Y axis is via a 2" aluminum drum, the X axis slides on rails much like any 3d printer or the like, and the Z (pen lift) is a simple spool that winds up some fishing line to draw the pen back. A simple return spring keeps the pen against the paper. --Its a fancy-schmancy actual plotter pen, by the way.

Construction is a bit of everthing, little CNC, some laser cutting and some manual work on the lathe. All in all, I might have 20 hours into it. All parts were stuff I had on hand.

The brains consist of an Arduino Nano running GRBL and a very simple desktop app is used as a G-code feeder. All "drawing files" are produced via CamBam --The same software I use to produce cut files for my CNC and laser cutter.

It turned out pretty good, I think, but I have no idea what I am going to use it for.  :)

Pictures, yo.

Draws Pictures

• Actuators / output devices: (3) Stepper Drivers, (3) Stepper Motors
  • Control method: USB
  • CPU: Arduino Nano
  • Operating system: GRBL
  • Power source: External Wall Wart
  • Programming language: Arduino
  • Target environment: desk

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/x-y-plotter-in-a-box

Wait a minute.
Its a plotter. In a box -?! (queue the music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxLacN2Dp6A )

Great project. I love the

Great project. I love the “that’s a piece of paper” in the video. It looks amazing.

Only one thing missing…“Ting!”

Thanks, Mint…

You are not the first to notice I forgot the ting…   :slight_smile:

Well, “Just for fun” sounds

Well, “Just for fun” sounds like folding a paper plane but not with CtC. I remember This happened by accident and like this post we can see right here it was a bold understatement.

We are missing you since months and now you come out with that box plotter which is a remarkable piece of craftmanship. Well done Chris, hope we can see more from Roketbrandstudio soon.