Wiring model for “24mm Brushless DC gear motor - 24V 960RPM”

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could figure out the wiring for the "24mm Brushless DC gear motor - 24V 960RPM”?

For some reason, it is behaving oddly.
I hooked it up to a function generator, and when the VCC and the CW/CCW wires are given 20V the PWM wire will only cause the motor to rotate when it is given less than 2.5V. If a higher voltage is given to the PWM the motor will stop rotating.

Furthermore, changing the voltage supply on the PWM does not change the speed of rotation, but changing the voltage supply to the VCC will.

I left the FG (frequency generator) wire unattached and connected the black GND wire to the ground.

([24mm Brushless DC gear motor - 24V 960RPM - RobotShop ))

If you have any idea on how it is supposed to be wired/work please contact me.

Thank you,

Hello HK!

As you can see on the datasheet the motor has 5 wires

The red is the DC voltage, and the black the DC ground

The green one is the FG (Frequency Generator) which is a feedback signal from the encoder sensor and the yellow one allows you to change the direction of the rotation.

The blue one is the PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). The PWM signal, allows you to change the speed by varying the duty cycle. If you are not familiar with this I suggest checking this blog:

1 Like

(this website explains that for a 5-wire BLDC motor with a built-in driver the method to make it spin is different)

Hi,

What are the expected voltage ranges for each pin mainly the Blue wire.
Based on the data sheet I expect the Red wire to be at 12V.

• Is it a 0-5v PWM signal?
  • Is the Yellow what a 0-12v or 0-5 volts or something else?
  • What is the expected output for the FG Signal (green)?

Thanks anything helps. (I hope i’m not reading the data sheet wrong…)

Me again should I just follow this is from a similar-ish motor. pls lmk

Hello!

Yes, just keep in mind that the colors are different.

As your motor is a 24V model the red wire (VCC) should be 24V.

PWM should be a 5V signal, the frequency should be between 10-30K, the duty cycle controls the speed.