Windshield wiper Hexapod

Has anybody attempted building an 18dof Hexapod with H-bridges and wiper motors? Just playing around with my ssc-u and arduino mega and I wiper motor using an arduino IBT-2 h bridge worked pretty good. I’ll need to collect 17 more wiper motors and 15 more h bridges… should be pretty strong.
I figure it will be the size of a go kart when I’m all done.

Hi @Armenvegas !

I used to work in wiper motor production factory so this sounds interesting to me :smiley:

I guess you are using standard wiper motor type (although there are also “smart” ones with electronics, LIN communication etc.)?

Looking forward to see it working :smiley:

Thanks I was going to use just standard wipers. Here is a general idea of the wiring of each wiper/h-bridge/servo.
I’ll need upscaled wiper mounts for each joint but that should be doable.

1 Like

Ok good. Just keep up with the good work. We will see it I hope in Robots section :slight_smile:

Do you know where i could buy like 2 dozen for a good price?

To buy really cheap ones, you should probably go to local car scrapyards. Otherwise ebay I think.

Hello and thank you for showing interest in my our project. Here’s progress, not much but I havent given up.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing! It really looks massive!

And hello to your little dog friend :smiley:

Ok so I’ve been waiting for h-bridges to arrive and been taking apart servos to hopefully mount the potentiometers directly to the windshield wiper motor shafts and … and realized I need some more servos.
I dont want to destroy my new hitech servos.
So meanwhile here’s my progress report. Lol

4 Likes

Wow! Indeed you have a massive hexapod! Matt Denton would be proud!
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/500384-largest-drivable-hexapod-robot/

2 Likes

Wow that’s a compliment to be even considered in his league. That’s the best hexapod on this planet.
Thank you

2 Likes