Why I want to build Companion Droids

How the CD came to be

By Liam Arbuckle, Alliance of Droids Co-Leader

I am 14 years old and was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome in 2013. I created the Alliance of Droids for fun, but also to raise awareness and to be part of something. The companion robots (Droids) are like that. I wanted to help kids with disabilities, because I know that there are plenty of kids without friends and have no-one to talk to. I am sick of feeling like that and I want people to be happy for who they are.

On the 26th of October, I met Professor Jane Burns. I talked to her about my ambition, and she was deeply interested. She talked about it in one of her presentations not long ago. It was good for someone high up to know about this.

BlueFrogRobotics are one of my role-models. I really want to be partners with them as they do companion robots as well.

This was how the CD was born.

I am a 51 year old adult,

I am a 51 year old adult, who realized a few years ago that I am on the low end of the Autism spectrum.  So, I understand a bit of what you are experiencing.   I think years of “Love your neighbor as yourself” in Sunday School helped me realize how important people are to God, and encouraged me grow socially.   When I actually recognized the Autism in me, I read more and learned where to focus my efforts.  The results are that I am indeed much more social than I was when I was a child.

The club you created is a fantastic way to find others with similar interests.  I have been involved with several clubs, and even president of a few clubs over my life time and enjoyed them very much.

In regards to your desire to work with companion robots, it is important to distinguish between an actual companion, and a pretend companion.  I think what defines a true companion, is that a true companion has actual feelings and thoughts.  A baby doll that says “Ma Ma” does not want his mother,  any more than a robot that says, “Will you be my friend?” actually wants any friends.

No one has thought of a way to make a true companion of any kind.  That is in the world of science fiction only. The robots that are pretend companion robots, are really just dolls that have more sophistication than a baby doll that says "Ma Ma”.  But, the advanced sophistication does is not change what it is. It is a pretend companion, in the same way as a child’s Teddy bear or doll.

However, there are important uses for these pretend characters.  Just as a child may practice speech or other social interactions by playing with their Teddy bear, they can practice with a robot. And the robot can be programmed to provide better practice than a simple Teddy bear.

The idea of a pretend companion robot for helping disabled people will require many skills.

As an example, I am involved in a community theater group, where I help make things.  For a show to go on, it requires people with good visual art skills, and also social skills like acting and directing. But also very important are the technical abilities to control the lights and make things like converting an old camera to use a battery operated flash, instead of the old-style flash bulbs (my current project). God gives us all different skills, and we have to work together as a team to make anything of value.

-Joe

Welcome!

Hi LieutenantDroid!

You are more than welcome! And thanks for sharing your experience here also your robots.

I think you are doing a great help so please, don’t stop sharing here your personal experience with robots. Don’t hesitate to ask for help around and enjoy!

Kind regards,

Francisco

why don’t to try to make robots who really think and feel?

"No one has thought of a way to make a true companion of any kind.  That is in the world of science fiction only. The robots that are pretend companion robots, are really just dolls that have more sophistication than a baby doll that says “Ma Ma”.  But, the advanced sophistication does is not change what it is. It is a pretend companion, in the same way as a child’s Teddy bear or doll.

The idea of a pretend companion robot for helping disabled people will require many skills.”

… so, why don’t to try to make robots who really think and feel? Obviously it will be not easy, but if nobody tries it…

there are projects about robots that really think and feel

Hi ropola,

another interesting topic :wink:

The thing is that there are projects already for creating robots that truly can think and/or feel. Think about artificial intelillence, and applications to emulate feelings to make robots for companion.

The issue is, thinking and feeling are not easy task, even human people don’t handle them properly usually :wink:

iIf you are trully interested on those topics, you will find pretty advanced projects about robots that think, and maybe feel. Do some Google searches. You probably find MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) about it, here you have an example.

Good luck and I look forward to see your findings and projects.