Where to start, cheap!

Hi evrybody!

I really wont to start at building robots, but my mom thinks that i will drop the subject after 2 weeks or something. Then i have bunch of questions but only one main question at the moment:

Can you juse Java to program Robots.

I wont to build a car, and i wont it to turn out really cheap! EXSTREMLEY cheap! I heard of Android or something like that, i hope you can help me :)

Ps: My mom DONT wont me to weld :)

Its was Arduino
Its was Arduino

Welcom to the permament

Welcom to the permament world of forums from the transient world of the shoutbox

Picaxe is cheaper than Atmel/Arduino systems, although an Arduino system may be easier to work with for a beginner.

Java does not usually run on cheap microcontrollers, but if you have basic programming knowledge then there is a vast amount of examples on the internet for systems like the arduino.

Apart from that, you may want to look into things like:

RC servo motors

Small DC electric motors

Buttons/microswitches

Soldering iron

Breadboard

Then all the little bits: wire,resistors, cutters, tools, batteries, battery holders, wheels, LED’s, - all of the bits needed to connect components to each other

By itself, you can plug the Arduino into your PC and make an LED flash. From there you can make it flash when a button is pressed, or add a potentiomiter and make the flashing change speed. Or you could add an RC servo motor…

Galle,I just started this

Galle,

I just started this myself about a week ago. I ordered the Arduino Starter Pack from Adafruit Industries. Link here.

Adafruit is located in New York, USA. I ordered mine on a Monday and recieved it the following 3 days later (2nd day air) for a total of about $75. The starter pack itself is $65. I have been fairly “successful” so far with my arduino. I haven’t broken anything yet and I have wired up several circuits sucessfully. I started by doing Adafruits tutorials for this starterpack located at www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino. After that, I took what I learned to do my own circuits.

There is another pack you might want to consider. Its from the same company and is called the “Arduino Experimentation Kit.” Link here. I would have actually bought this myself, but it was just put up on the website. This pack is cool because it comes with a motor, a servo, and a view other sensors and things that mine didn’t come with. It also comes with circuit diagrams.

I think either pack would probably be great to go with. At the very least, if you buy the Arduino Starter Pack, you will need a soldering iron and some solder to assemble the “ProtoShield” that it comes with. About welding–you won’t do any welding. You will be doing soldering (completely different from welding–which involves actually fusing metal together).

About Programming:

I’m not sure if any microcontrollers use Jave. Arduino, doesn’t (that I know for sure). Some people say that the arduino programming language is “similar” to C. Some people say that it “IS” C. As far as I can tell, it is C, with some extra libraries to handle arduino hardware. I went into this with extensive Microsoft Visual Basic knowledge. However, VB is an object oriented–event driven language. C is not, its all sequential. However, with that said, it only took me about half a day or so to pick up on C. Even if you arent familiar with programming, Arduino might still be a good way to go.

Please!, take everyones comments into consideration…after all…I just started last week.

Hmmmm :slight_smile: But witch language

Hmmmm :slight_smile:

But witch language do you think i should juse? And do Arduino support Java? And What is Dc motors and how much do they cost?

I take it you are familiar

I take it you are familiar with Java. I have not heard of a micocontroller using Java. Like I said, I went into arduino with no C knowledge and picked up on it very quickly. I forgot to mention, Arduino has a great website located here, and they also have a good section which shows how to connect and write code for MANY components (located here).

A DC motor is a Direct Current motor. Prices range from about 1 cent to thousands of dollars…but for these hobby purposes…you are looking at about $1.00 - $10.00 I’d say.

Hmmm i have a little knowleg

Hmmm i have a little knowleg of Java, and a lot of website programing. I have readen about C++ a little and it a little like website programing, so i think i will get a good start of programing a robot :wink: Hmmm is it me or do the last of the two kits contaion the same, just more, and some ekstras?

Robotic is sounding ceaper
Robotic is sounding ceaper than i thoug :slight_smile: I thoug this could cost me about 300 USD and then on my next majbe 200 USD :slight_smile:

Hmm where did you start with
Hmm where did you start with C program (tutorial) ?

Yes, that second kit (the
Yes, that second kit (the Experimentation one), does come with most of the same stuff, but also some extras. I am glad you asked though, because I forgot to mention that the second one doesn’t come with any power source other than the USB cable. However, you can buy a 9 volt battery pack from the same supplier here for $4.00.

Start here.
Start here.

Options

There is a micro controller that you can program in a subset of Java called the Javelin from Parallax. It is expensive and I wouldn’t recommend it.

I like Arduino and if you have some familiarity with Java, you should be able to learn it just fine. It does use C/C++ under the hood but there are libraries that make it much easier to use.

A non-solder option would be Lego Mindstorms.

Javelin is rather espensive.

Javelin is rather espensive. The Propeller can be programed in Basic, Spin [advanced basic], C and Assembly. I have seen somewhere a JAVA interpreter for it but I can’t find that link now.It was in the forums. Spin Studio is fairly cheap DIY kit with lots of option boards like Audio/Video out, Keyboar/Mouse, Network etc…

If Soldering is new you might look at this ready made prototyping option: Propeller Proto Board. It offers voltage regulation, Microcontroller and room to solder on options for only 39 USD

The PropStick is one sale today [Daily Deal] and Parallax has daily deals on their homepage for 15-30% off of a featured product.

I recently started this as
I recently started this as well and what i missed alot in the beginning was actually the normal electronic compontents. Stuff you’d expect be rather common, but here where I live (Norway) it was hard to come by. One option is to start desoldering old computers and hack electronic toys for parts, but that probably isnt the easiest way. So what I recommend, in addition to buying a arduino microcontroller, is to get a starter electronics kit. These kits have alot more parts then what the arduino starter pack’s give you - parts you will need. I can for example the bitsbocks.co.uk’s 613 parts starter kit is nice. You’ll get a nice collection of leds, transistors, resistors, volt regulators, capacitors etc.

WHAT!

WHAT!

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/help.html Does it not work for vista, :frowning: Then i cant make robots!!! Uless i juse my dads computer and it slow old and full with program, and i think it got a virus too :frowning:

The newer arduino versions
The newer arduino versions works under Vista without any problems. These FAQ is out of date.

Im not looking for java any
Im not looking for java any more :slight_smile: Becaus i have inforemd about the cost and about how it works :slight_smile: Its not supportet by many :slight_smile:

Another for Works on Vista
It works “almost perfectly” under Vista. There is a slight hangup with the version of Java that the Arduino IDE inlcudes in the download & Vista’s “Aero” desktop interface but it is not a show stopper & is easily overcome.

It’s a rare breed for sure.I

It’s a rare breed for sure.

I have one of the javelin procs and have considered it to be a decent proc albiet expensive. I know some people have issues with it, like it can run warmer than most and if you’re used to having the jvm do your memory cleanup ala gargbage collection, this is not a supported feature. I do think it’s great for people who do know java though.

Tinhead has a good recommendation as well with nanovm which I was looking at trying myself.