What would you see if you had half a day in New York?

Yes, I could ask Google, and everyone else - But a I am going on business to the apple, and have like half a day available with a colleauge - and I wonder if we have LMRians who have been there, or even lives there, who will tell us what to do, who to see, what to try, where to go? - What would you do?

**Burger Joint. **

Burger Joint.

I’m posting this via my
I’m posting this via my phone while on a bus ride to NYC on a Spanish class overnight field trip. Maybe I’ll see you, although I doubt you’ll be in the Hispanic area of NYC :smiley:

Ha, no, it’ll be a in a

Ha, no, it’ll be a in a couple of weeks. Cool though, thanks for posting :wink:

well…

I live in NY so you could visit a real New Yorker lol (you are more than welcome)

I would hit Times Square check it out and run away. Super crowded there. Take the “S” train(subway) at 42nd st… it goes one way only. Get off at other end and get on the 4 or 5 train(uptown express) to 86th st. All the Museums below are in walking distance of this subway station. 

Maxirez is correct the Metropolitan Museum of Art is a few blocks from my Apartment and I go there a lot due to the “donation” rule :slight_smile: pay whatever you like and go in. Most people from out of town pay full price not knowing this rule.

The Guggenheim is even closer to my place but charges full price. :frowning:

If you are here on a Sat or Sun you could go with my company hiking upstate on a day hike and winery adventure on the house(free).

Last but not least… Take a cab anywhere just for fun if you have never done that.

There’s so much you won’t see in half a day!

I live in the UK but was in Manhattan for four days the year before last before we moved on down to Maryland and across to the Blue Ridge Mountains.  I’m a country boy at heart but was really WOW’ed by NYC - It’s an amazing place!

There are so many interesting places there, but if you’ve only got half a day I’d suggest you go to the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller building) to get a brilliant view of the city from above - There’s a good restaurant at the bottom near the fountains and the nearby Lego shop is worth a look. Then take the subway North to the 72nd Street entrance to Central Park and walk through Strawberry fields to the Bethesda Terrace and fountain to see the buskers.  If you’re there in the evening, Times Square is well worth a look.

Whatever you do, make sure you get yourself high up at some point.  New York is a very VERTICAL city. You’ll find you’ll end the day with a stiff neck from looking UP all the time ;¬) 

there is the New York Hall

there is the New York Hall of Science, and i cant find it anymore,
but i think there was a museum of computer gaming somewhere in NY.

Too bad you are not here for

Too bad you are not here for longer. We could do a local LMR meet up. But since you only have half a day…

Food: Too many choices to mention. Fine dining choices abound, from Italian, to Sushi to Brazilian Churrascarias.  If you have a favorite cuisine or something you’ve always wanted to try, let me know and I’ll give you a recommendation. Try New York style pizza and a bagel, at the least.

Film/Theater: Catch a Broadway or Off-Broadway show. TKTS in Times Square sells discount tickets on the same day of the performance. If you like film, there’s the Film Forum and the Angelika are my two favorite indy film spots.  

Night Life/Drinks: Also too many to mention unless you narrow down your preferences. However, I’ll give you two I have always liked. There’s a funky speakeasy-like sake bar in the East Village (9th Street and 2nd Ave) called Decibel. Low ceilings, weird Japanese decor, best sake I’ve ever tasted. No credit cards, no reservations, NO SUSHI. Walk down the stairs and ring the bell for entry. For real.

For the ultimate in world-wide beer selection, try the Peculier Pub on Bleecker Street. Old wooden tables and a huge selection of beers from around the world.

Museums: Others have already mentioned the Metropolitan and the Guggenheim. I particularly like the exhibit on ancient arms and armor at the Met. There’s also the Museum of Natural History, and the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA). 

Music and more: Once again, there are so many choices. Time Out NY is a good resource for music, as well as food and other entertainments.

good one!

Time out NY is a great one! Of course I would say that, Time out NY features our trips out of the city :smiley:

it depends on what part of town your in.

if your in town on business you are probably in midtown , wall street or Soho.  all those areas are safer then most of the cities in Europe these days. 

for something different you can try the SECOND AVENUE DELI. its a old school kosher deli between Lexington and 3rd ave on 33rd st. 

and the store METALLIFEROUS at 34 West 46th Street is worth a look.

i hope you enjoy your visit.