What should I get my boyfriend for Christmas?

Hi there. I’m looking to buy my boyfriend some raspberry pi starter bits for Christmas. He is learning to code, used to be a mathematician, has always been interested in STEM and I think he would really enjoy building something. So I would like to get him something that would help him learn coding and do some fun starter bits with robotics. Raspberry pi seemed like a good place to start. What products would you recommend for a beginner?

I was thinking possibly the raspberry pi + STS-Pi Robot Chassis. But I’m unsure. What can you programme the Chassis to do? Would there be something better/more interesting?

(p.s. talk to me like I’m 5 about this stuff because, while my boyfriend understands STEM and computers, I’m excited when I can do an excel formula)

Hello @MollyJessicaAnn and welcome to the RobotShop forum!

A Raspberry Pi would be an amazing gift! There are many kits and Raspberry Pi based robots available in the store, here are some interesting options:

https://www.robotshop.com/uk/picrawler-multi-function-diy-ai-bionic-robot-kit-raspberry-pi.html
https://www.robotshop.com/uk/piarm-robot-kit-a-31-dof-multifunctional-robot-arm-kit-based-on-raspberry-pi.html

And you can find even more in the Raspberry Pi Accessories / HATs section of the store.

If you know he is especially interested in something like sensors, robots, or computer vision let me know so I can guide you to something more specific. Or you could also simply get a basic kit so he can have all the necessary things required to get started with a Raspberry Pi.

Here I’m linking a couple of guides that might be of interest!

Regards

Hi there. Thank you! I’ll take a look at those kits.

Obviously, I will also need to buy a raspberry pi to go with this. I am unsure what basic kit I need to buy to go with this so he can start using the RP immediately. The links above are for the US site - what can I buy from the UK site to ensure he has the raspberry pi and basic essentials?

Would this (Raspberry Pi 400 (US) - RobotShop) and this (Raspberry Pi Essential Kit wo/Raspberry Pi - RobotShop) work or is anything additional needed? I’m a little confused… The raspberry Pi says US after the name so I’m not sure if it would be suitable or not?

I am unsure what basic kit I need to buy to go with this so he can start using the RP immediately.

These are the parts required to get started with the Raspberry Pi:

• A Raspberry Pi computer with an SD card or micro SD card
  • A monitor with a cable (and, if needed, an HDMI adapter)
  • A USB keyboard and mouse
  • A power supply

As he most likely already has a USB keyboard and mouse and a monitor, you only need to get an SD card, power supply, an HDMI adapter, maybe a VGA adapter (depending on the monitor he has) and some additional useful parts could be some heatsinks, fan, and case.

PS: I switched the links above for the UK store.

1 Like

The Raspberry Pi 400 is actually a computer built in a keyboard, and not only the Raspberry Pi board, so unless that is what you are looking for, a better option would be getting the actual computer board:

The essentials kit you linked is not compatible with the Pi 400, as it is meant for the Raspberry Pi Model B+ which is an older model. The latest Raspberry Pi is the 4 B and has different HDMI ports (mini) and uses a 5V 3A power supply so a better-suited kit for this version would be this one:

I hope that helps!

Is this kit compatible with Raspberry Pi 4? Raspberry Pi Essential Kit wo/Raspberry Pi - RobotShop
The description mentions earlier versions only.

Hi @rooppoorali,

As I mentioned in my previous post, it isn’t. The latest Raspberry Pi is the 4 B and has different HDMI ports (mini) (so it needs a different cable and case) and uses a 5V 3A power supply so a better-suited kit for this version would be this one:

I hope this helps!

Thanks a lot.