What polyurethane for 18 GA cold rolled steel

Hello. My school is doing a sumobot competition and has decided on magnetic style sumo. We are making the metal playing surface ourselves and have sourced the steel already.

Now that we have the steel for the ring, the next step is to source and determine how to properly coat it in the polyurethane. I have been tasked with finding the following information and can’t find much regarding the topic. I was hoping maybe somebody here has personal experience with this matter.

1. what polyurethane coating works best for 18 GA cold rolled steel (provide a direct link to the material or a company website with contact information),
  2. how much of it we need (black for the entire area of the 154 cm diameter then white for the 5cm border),
  3. whether we would need to do multiple coats of it,
  4. what other materials we need to coat it (brushes? Rollers? Any PPE required while using the materials?),
  5. how long it takes for the materials to get here (processing time and shipping time),
  6. and what the dry/cure times would be for each coat needed.
1 Like

Hi @Sivancfox ,

It seems that our community members do not have much experience with this PU coating since no one replied.

Have you managed to find a company that can do this for you?