What parts to use for a CNC inspired fan with an obstacle detector?

I’m trying to look for parts to do a project where there is a
1 stepper motor that can move the head in X-axis
1 stepper motor that can move the head in Y-axis
1 stepper motor that can move the head in Z-axis
1 fan
1 obstacle detector
1 wifi module
1 power source
1 Arduino board
1 power supply for the motors and fan
(some method of connecting all of these together safely)

2 of the stepper motors perform movement on axis X and Z or in other words left/right and up/down, while moving a fan and the third motor. The third motor will move a pipe head connected to a fan that can be turned on and off. This functions similar to a CNC-machine except its vertical instead of horizontal, and I assume that its ok to use those long screw-like things to move the head. The fan will suck an item from container, and the obstacle detector should detect if it has picked up anything.

As a complete beginner who has never touched anything related to robotics, what parts would I need for this, and is there any special processing that I need to do to complete this, such as combining wires? Note that I do not yet have any equipment to handle wires or anything.

Since the axis will have a movement of around 50cm, the wires must be able to be around 100cm long to connect the Y-axis servo and the fan at the furthest location of the moving head, which seems to be much longer distance than normal jumper cables provide, so I’m at a loss with the cables as well.

The maximum load the fan has to pick up is a few grams, of course with some air going past the thing to pick up. The moving head will be around 100-200g depending on the weight of the fan, picked up thing, and 3d-printed plastic parts.

I’ve tried to research this a bit with my very limited knowledge, and I’ve found these parts:

Arduino to control everything:

Wifi module which receives the X,Z target axis (except the connecting pins seem to be different than the ones on the Arduino)

Laser receiver and emitter to detect an object passing through. Anything would work as long as its possible to connect these:

Stepper motors for axis movements:

As a beginner I’m currently stuck at these, what parts could I use to finish the project, including everything?

1 Like

Hi @Nuubles and welcome to our forum :slight_smile:

This is not so easy task for a beginner, but start with small steps and it will be achievable :slight_smile:

Also, it is not easy for other users just to recommend exact component you need, but we can give some suggestions.

First, I would suggest that you draw some simple schematics of all the parts you think you need and how you plan to connect these.

Then you can check the power input, voltages, wiring and choose components based on this. I would usually start like that.

If you never draw some schematics, it could be hard, but worth learning it.