What is an ATMEGA328P

I'm about to start my first robot using Arduino, and I wonder what that long rectangular chip is. I later find out it is called the ATMEGA328P. What is it? Is it like a data storage for the code? If not, what does it do?

Oh HarroRobot, does your

Oh HarroRobot, does your teacher not tell you to use at least one of the major search engines when you want to know something? 

It took me 3 seconds to copy the chip name and paste it into the Google search field, hit enter and got 290.000 search results after just 0.43 seconds. Then hit the first search result and come directly to the manufacturer (Atmel) of that chip with a data sheet where you can find all information about that chip.

I understand the desire to get the best information and 290k search results is a lot to choose from but the most of the time you will find the right thing (especially when it’s that famous) within the first 10 links.

I see that you are member since April 2012 and now such a question. Don’t get me wrong i wanna help but I/we can not do that simple homework for you.

Just to make sure, here is the link to the data of that chip: ATMEGA328P

k, srry about that

well, LMR is a great

well, LMR is a great communitiy and everybody is eager to help but some basics need to be done by yourself. Starting robotics is also to know how to get information, especially about electronic components. With all this just get told by others you will not learn much about the whole thing.

LMR helps those that helps

LMR helps those that helps themselves. Couldn’t have said it better, lumi :slight_smile:

Interesting

This one is pretty interesting. My first thought was, “How the hell can you not know this?”. My second thought was, “Why would you know this?”. Then I thought about information “seekers”…

I personally, am an information seeker, its just in my blood. If I am reading an article on sports of politics or science or whatever, if I come across a word I don’t understand, I stop, cut-and-paste and google it. Then I got back to reading the article. When I was a kid (pre-internet) I would pour over catalogs. Electronics, surplus, farm supplies --I would read catalogs like books. I do the same now just on-line. If I am looking for a product say, at SparkFun, I will hit basically all their links --datasheet, sample code, schematic. 

Now back to our current discussion:  " Is it like a data storage for the code?"…

I want to start with giving a pass on this one. Why would you know this? We all have to start somewhere, everyone is a newbie sometime. Sometimes you don’t even know there is a question to ask, let alone what the question is. 

Now I have to take that pass back…  How in the world could you not know this? --Or find this out? I have to think that if someone knew nothing of robots or electronics were to simply skim LMR for an hour or two, they could piece together that this thing must be the “brain”. I mean, if one were to simply read a couple posts (any post really) here and there, they would be seeing things like 

• input pins/output pins --the fact that sensors and motors are connected to this "long rectangular chip"
  • discussions about programming and thus, code must be going into this "long rectangular chip"
  • the vast majority of posted robots show an “Atmega328” in the list of stats --and go on to mention “Arduino” in the text of the post
  • etc etc etc

My point is, I think the real issue here is not so much the nature of this particular question. Instead, I would fear that if one had not “soaked up” enough information (in 7 months) to know that this thing is a microcontroller and it is the the basis of this entire hobby, well, I dunno how well the actual building is going to go. 

Harro, I don’t want to crap on you here, but this whole “information seeking” thing is sorta the whole basis of robot making. 

How did you write all

How did you write all this?!?!? I got tired just by reading it straight down!! Man you’ve got guts!!

On a serious note, yes I agree with what ever you have said (even including etc etc :). 

Note to Harro- Just compare it to the CPU of the computer you are using except it can handle a lot less code and a lot more hardware. Search “microprocessor wikipedia” on google, open the wikipedia link and read the first 2-3 paras. I’ve done it for you but it’ll still be better if you do it yourself…

It’s a generational thing

I think it’s a generational thing Chris. You are old school and can remember when a pc was a very basic instrument you had to know how it worked and use that knowledge to use it. But they improved on that with plugnplay and scripting and now you don’t need to know how they work and just be a consumer. Heck can you imagine what it will be like in a few years when tablets and “cloud computing” take over.
It’s this overconsumption of media that’s stunting kids abilities to be “information seekers”. I mean we all can get tired in the head sometimes trying to figure something out but I reckon too many video games and harry potter movies can destroy your thinking ability.

Generation…

Wow, I am part of “the last” generation and the “next generation” is on its way? I’m only 35…

When did this happen?

That would make you a member

That would make you a member of Generation X by common definition… Gen Y and by some definitions Gen Z have already been and gone…

To be honest I think the concept of discrete generations as a tool for defining how you expect someone to behave is archaic by itself, and basically just a lazy way of justifying age discrimination =)

Wow 35

Sorry I didn’t realise you were a part of the problem
: P

I was…

Oh yeah, I was dead-smack in the middle of the problem for most of my twenties… Now it seems, I am in the catagory of “don’t trust anyone over the age of 30”… 

In short, I used to be with “it”…   …but then they changed what “it” was…

You are the youngster beside

You are the youngster beside me :slight_smile: Yes I also remember what searching information in the “no internet” time…much more time consuming and limited but efficient…since the information we found that time was more reliable. 

Today even wikipedia is not 100% garanted to be true…

im not alone!

im just glad to know i wasnt the only one who read maplin catalogues to learn the basics before i got the internet