What is a ROBOT?

Asimo.jpg

I have seen this question asked and have not yet found a real answer or one that actually describe or defines what a robot is.

Here I am asking the infamous question "What is a Robot"

Can't wait to see what your thoughts are.

IMHO

For me a robot is an autonomous system capable of reading its environment and reacting to it. But would love to hear and discover other perspectives on the matter!

An RC vehicle is not a
An RC vehicle is not a robot. It is a bg step on the way to creating a robot though. We shlouldn’t make beginners feel bad for their RC creations, but we also shouldn’t allow them to be called robots. A robot should be autonomous to some degree beyond having every movement remote controlled.

Appliances

Would a Roomba which is an appliance be considered a robot or is it just an appliance. What makes a robot a robot. Does it have to feel to be a robot. Does it have to think to be a robot. Does it have to be autonomous to be a robot. Does it have to recognize you or objects to be a robot. What really defines what a robot is. Can part of it be RC or assisted by the user and still be a robot. At what point do we say this is a robot and that is a RC toy. Does just the physical appreance of it that makes it look human make it a robot.

A robot is a constructed

A robot is a constructed machine that performs the functions of a servant.

A robot is a constructed

A robot is a constructed machine that performs the tasks of a servant.A robot should be able to change the environment it is in.

Roomba is a robot, right at the bottom of that description. Typically a robot (more correctly, General Purpose Robot) should perform more than one task, roomba really only does one.

I have disturbingly heard some people call radio-control “autonomous”.

The stricter the better I believe as it is a focus for construction. When someone says they are going to build a robot, having a strict set of criteria helps them tell if they have successeded or not. Open-ended goals usually lead to an unfinished machine.

I agree with you on this. I

I agree with you on this. I see many videos where it say 17DOF robot but when you watch them the majority are using either a bluetooth connection or IR or RF to control the movements of the robots.

I have come up with three

I have come up with three words that I think are the easiest way to describe a robot and would love to hear more from anyone on their thoughts of this. Sense,Think and React.

To me a robot has to Sense it enviroment or know if there is something in its way, it then has to make a decision or do some thinking, if Left is 15cm and Right is 14cm and Front is 20cm which way to I go, Then after it has made is decision it has to React by lets say going forward because it is the path with least resistance.

Good question.dictionary.com

Good question.

dictionary.com defines robot as “a machine that resembles a human and does mechanical, routine tasks on command.”  I don’t think that explains it very well although I am still trying to refine this in my own mind as to what makes a robot.  

If you define a robot as something that can sense and interact with your environment, I think that is close, but not quite it.  A piece of software that runs once a week to send out an email alert with a report, ok, that probably isn’t a robot.  But what if the job sends it to the printer so every Friday morning there it is on the printer?  It is interacting with the environment. I don’t see that as a robot though, I see it as a scheduled job or as automation.

Is an Alexa a robot?  I think the same argument pertains.  You can order stuff and it appears on your doorstep two days later if you have Amazon Prime so it can interacts with your environment.  You can also talk to it so it is interacting with you which is a part of the environment, it can play music which changes the environment, integrate with home automation, etc.  It definitely is a robot by that definition. 

I think ultimately the term “robot” is subjective and something different for each person.  For me, it is something that moves itself within its environment.  So, a robot is a manmade device or machine that physically moves, and can sense and interact within its environment.  So, by that definition, a Roomba is a robot, Alexa is not.  

But how does one define an industrial robot like are used in automotive factories?  They are stationary.  Also, where I work we have pick and place machines that put together two factor authorization and identity tokens like you might have on your key ring to log into your work VPN.  Neither of these physically move, but they move other things to fulfull their purpose.  I think those are robots so how about revise that above:

"a robot is a manmade device or machine that physically moves itself or other things, and can sense and interact within its environment."

Feel free to disagree or agree.  I will stick with that until I change my mind!

Our definition of a robot is

Our definition of a robot is coming to life. I agree with you as Alexa is not a robot but more of what I would call a Chat bot with additional add-ons. You are correct in saying it is man made and that is has to physically perform a duty or task based on its enviroment. So is that to say that any man made machine that can sense it enviroment and then think and react is a robot. What about cars that are able to park for you are those robots. Great job on your definition Bill I think with a little more work we can get this down to what a robot is. Happy holidays Bill.

What is the difference

What is the difference between a robot and a machine ?

A machine is something designed to perform a specific task over and over again.

A printer does that and it senses if you press a button. You cell phone does it and it feels your finger.

A line following robot (is it really one ?) does it. Mini Max does it.

But all of them do the same t: hey perform a task and react to the environment. Even an engine does it : if you stop the fuel flow it will stop. 

So do we really need the word robot ? Or is it only a word that everybody would connect to something like C3PO ?

So when you ask me what I connect to the word robot, I will answer C3PO, R2D2, Mini Max …

But I come to the conclusion that a robot is ‘just’ a synonym for a machine.

Good questions you have

Good questions you have there and lets see if they can all be answered.

What is the difference between a robot and a machine ?

A Robot is a Machine but a Machine is not a Robot. That would be like saying the pencil sharpener is a robot.

A machine is something designed to perform a specific task over and over again.

A Machine requires human intervention to continue to work.

A printer does that and it senses if you press a button. You cell phone does it and it feels your finger.

Once again they require human intervention to work, without you touching them they just sit there motionless.

A line following robot (is it really one ?) does it. Mini Max does it.

A Line following robot is a robot as it carries out a task without human intervention.

But all of them do the same t: hey perform a task and react to the environment. Even an engine does it : if you stop the fuel flow it will stop. 

A Engine is not a robot, while it does use a computer in some cases to control everything it still requires the input from you.

So do we really need the word robot ? Or is it only a word that everybody would connect to something like C3PO ?

C3PO was a Humanoid while R2D2 was a robot but those are both fictional characters.

Why would you call 'an

Why would you call an industrial robot like are used in automotive factories’  a robot ? What is different about it to a machine that does the same thing over and over ? Also does it sense it’s environment ?

Now you say ‘a robot is a manmade device’ but what about a device build by a robot that fulfills your other criteria ?

Good points. You could be

Good points. You could be right that there is no real difference.  Nothing wrong with calling what I consider a robot a machine, since by definition it certainly is.

But in my mind, a robot is a specialized type of machine.  Something like a cement mixer is “just” a machine since it doesn’t sense and interact with it environment.  Sure it has a button or switch to start it, but that button isn’t something that allows it to sense and interact with its environment.  A robot by my definition has to be able to somehow sense and interact with its environment so your line follower robot to me is a robot since it senses the line it follows and then interacts with the environment by following it.  

I think there are machines that don’t really fit nicely into my definition.  For instance, what about a 100’ long printing press?  It moves paper through rollers, so technically fits my definition.  It senses and interacts with the environment, but I can’t bring myself to call it a robot.  It is a machine.  

I forgot about robots building robots!  That is a good point.  How about change our definition a bit from above:

“A robot is a constructed device or machine that physically moves itself or other things, and can sense and interact with its environment.  Robot is also a subjective term that may be applied, or not as the case may be, to any number of machines that might or might not fit the above criteria.”

I would not consider a

I would not consider a pencil sharpener a machine. Also my line follower does need human intervention as the cement mixer (Bill’s example and I think you would agree a machine) to start.

Machine Definition. an

Machine Definition. an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task.

So say a house it uses

So say a house it uses mechanical power as you open a window it has several parts each with a definite function and together it saves me from the rain. Is my house a machine ?

I wanted to say that what I

I wanted to say that what I mean by Human Intervention is to control it by using a remote or other device such as a smart phone, RF transmitter etc… The point of having to turn a robot on is not human intervention in my meaning.

So what is controlling ? If

So what is controlling ? If a device catches balls you control it in a way if you throw a ball, don’t you ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDKXT1ZhEgA

Ok after discussing with

Ok after discussing with Jeff a little here is my try : A machine that does not need any lifeform for it to run after started till it runs out of power, that senses it’s environment computes this input due to certain rules (a program) and produces an output based on these rules which is of a physical form.