what board

hello,

im new here and i am still very young (17) and i would like to learn how to build robots so i may get introduced in this category.

is there any way of education (i preffer in holland) to learn all about robots? and if there is (even if there isn't) i would like to know wich board you recommand to use ALSO for future use.. like the professionals do! picaxe andruino or maybe somthing else

i do know programming and its C++ is not too hard for ME xD

soo bring it on thankks alot,

nick janse

You can learn quite a lot

You can learn quite a lot right here on LMR. There are also plent of other online resources if you look. Universities are starting to include thinks like ‘Mechatronics’ in their programs, buy you don’t have to depend on that to get started.

If you already know C++, I’d advise you to to with an Arduino based robot to start. There are some examples on this site for a Start Here style robot. Ro-Bot-X has some very nice little Arduino-based boards that give you everything you need for a small robot. There are some others out there as well. 

If you get a regular Arduino or clone, you will need to add a ‘shield’ in order to make a robot. To turn motors, you need a motor shield, which includes a motor driver (h-bridge) so you can turn your motors in both directions. You’ll also need one or more sensors (bump switches, IR or sonar range finders, etc.)

Look around and decide where you’d like to start. Feel free to ask more guidance after you have done some homework. 

Thank you for your

Thank you for your explanation.

I have done my homework very well,

but is still have a question :

what programming-langauge is the best to learn, i preffer the one wich experts uses!?

Thank you, nick janse

Thank you for your

Thank you for your explanation.

I have done my homework very well,

but is still have a question :

what programming-langauge is the best to learn, i preffer the one wich experts uses!?

Thank you, nick janse

PS: sorry for duoble posting this message

There isn’t a 'best

There isn’t a ‘best language’ for robotics, or for any application for that matter.
Use what you know and expand whenever you need something else.

Start simple, like Arduino (since that uses C++ basically) and see where you end up.
You can go multiple directions after that, bare AVR chips, or find a totally different route.

If you go into ‘pro robotics’, don’t expect to find many arduino’s or picaxe’s or whatever, that will probably be more in the direction of ARM and the likes.

On the learning and all, find online resources to get a start. I think some dutch universities have some comprehensive robotics courses, but you should find out with the universities themselves

C program language is the

C program language is the best to learn, which is similar to C++.

Like Benji83 say, there is

Like Benji83 say, there is no ‘best language’ for robot programming. The best thing is to get your feet wet in a variety of different languages and microcontrollers. But I do believe that if you’re going a professional route an ARM microprocessor like the Netduino or something from the FEZ (from GHI Electronics) is the way of the future.

The great thing about robotics and electronics in general is that you can try it out at home on your spare time. Try build the start here robot first and see if it as fun as you imagine, then start planning your future. Very few here at LMR is doing this for a living, but probably most of us are dreaming about it…