WatchWinder “Orbit Peppermint”

WatchWinderOP.c (1892Bytes)

This is a watch winder, which I made as a gift for my neighbor who is a collector of automatic wrist watches that need to wind up from time to time. It should be done by rotating the watches in a selected direction and speed in a nearly vertical position.

As a PCB for this machine I used the one from my old line follower BEDA4, which will need a new board for its upgrade for the next year´s competitions and so the old one became useless.The PCB with PIC16F1847 and a bidirectional motor driver L298N provides control of speed and direction of the geared motor from an old printer. Reflective sensors QRD1114 were removed, Sharp GP2 distance sensor was replaced by a 10k potentiometer from an old radio and the program was changed. The PCB is powered from AC adaptor providing 6 VDC/500 mA. The current consumption in operation is approx. 250 mA (1.5 W).

A plastic cogwheel is screwed to the bottom of Orbit Peppermint gum case, into which a wristwatch is inserted and fixed by a plastic foam. The geared motor is screwed to the lid of the Casio watch metal box, which bottom is then screwed to the wooden frame from my old bed.

WatchWinderOP_LMR1.jpg

WatchWinderOP_LMR2.jpg

WatchWinderOP_LMR3.jpg

WatchWinderOP_LMR4.jpg

WatchWinderOP_LMR5.jpg

WatchWinderOP_LMR6.jpg

WatchWinderOP_LMR7.jpg

I have got an idea for a new watch winder in a “deluxe“ version for multiple watches, made from HP Photosmart 1215 printer paper feeding, adding there LCD, precise speed control by an optical encoder (part of the printer) and a joystick for setting the parameters. Looking forward to putting it here soon :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilGD6cMa9cM

Neat! It’s very practical,
Neat! It’s very practical, and as importantly, inexpensive.

Thank you for sharing this with the rest of us.

Some of the younger members might not know about this type of watches. They are mechanical watches rewound by the natural motions of your wrist while you go about day to day activities. Unless you collect these and need a lot of them rewound.

Gud work

Proper use of scratch…all the bst friend