Walter 2.1 Walter Gets His Voice!

Not a bad idea, pat…
I see about a walk through on the ipod thing soon.

Very nice, Walter sounds
Very nice, Walter sounds like a classy butler.
Which, frankly, makes me nervous.
It’s always the butler, you know.

Man! I’m totally loving this

Man! I’m totally loving this project!
IMHO this is becoming one of the most cool and complex projects here on LMR! Congrats CTC :wink:
Waiting for more uptades :wink:

Eyes?
Hey CTC, what are those new eyes Walter has? Are they just for aesthetics?

Eyes…
Yup, they don’t do a damn thing… Each is a red and blue LED with brightness controlled through PWM.

As always - another AWESOME posting!

Nice work Chris. As always - another AWESOME posting!

Nice eyes. I may have to steal borrow the idea. :slight_smile: Put the eyes on a box and you almost have Wall-E!

Anyway, I didn’t see mention (or maybe I just missed it) of what speech syth you are using, or are you using one of those record/playback chips? A bot with a Brit-butler accent - what a hoot!!

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Your Walter is definitely
Your Walter is definitely very cool and quite a bit more advanced than my W.A.L.T.E.R. at present. I’ll have to see what I can do in my v2.0 rebuild now. :smiley:

AH - The I-Pod provides the speech!
I re-watched your video - I realized you had interfacing to the I-Pod and fetching pre-recorded tracks for Walter’s speech. I somehow missed that first time I watched. Quite clever! So Walter could have any voice you desire… anything from a HAL voice to Alvin & the Chipmunks. Nice!

i am going to make a
i am going to make a butler-ish robot. Basically he will just be rude. The ipod seems like the best way to get it to talk. Just waiting on the walkthrough :wink:

I like the idea of a rude
I like the idea of a rude robot!

This is really cool. I don’t
This is really cool. I don’t think I’ve seen any projects with so many Picaxe’s and sensors working together! Very inspiring. I’ve seen lots of PC based bots that can’t do half what Walter can, despite having half the stuff built in. The day he brings you a beer cold from the fridge, you’ll know it was worth it! Where did you get your voice samples btw?

Voice samples
I simply had one of my UK friends record a bunch of lines and send me the MP3. I clipped each phrase apart in Adobe Audition, and just stuck 'em on the iPod.

Ah ok. I used one of the
Ah ok. I used one of the online text-to-speech places to get some done, sounds a bit robotty but that’s ok. So how do you control the iPod? Is there a way to specify which track to play, or do you need to just skip through to the one you need?

Buttons/joystick…

Hi,

could you please specify where you found the joystick and soft-touch buttons for the remote? I found out that parallax sells a joystick like yours, but yours is clickable as well, where the parallax isn’t…

play station
Well, sparkfun sells the clickable joystick for about 3 bucks. I got mine from a off-brand playstation remote that cost me about 10 bucks. The 4 soft-keys are from that same remote, I just used some scotch-brite to remove the square, circle, triangle markings off the buttons.

any new update about walters
any new update about walters voice…i am anxious

cheers!

shaken, not stir.