W.A.L.T.E.R. v1.x

W.A.L.T.E.R. is my experimental and learning robot platform and will never be complete. 

This is the first robot I built, back in 2006 - W.A.L.T.E.R.. It was named by a friend of mine and became the Wheeled Autonomous Learning Terrain Exploring Rover. I originally called him Octabot due to his shape. V1.x used a Basic Micro Basic Atom microcontroller and a few Servo Erector Set brackets from Lynxmotion. He was completely driven by continuous rotation servos and was based on the Octabot II kit from Budget Robotics.

• Actuators / output devices: Two servos for a pan/tilt sensor head
  • Control method: fully autonomous
  • CPU: Basic Micro Basic Atom on a Lynxmotion Atom Bot Board
  • Power source: One 7.2V@2800mAH NiMH battery pack for servos and one 7.2V@2000mAH NiCad battery pack for electronics
  • Programming language: Basic Micro's dialect of BASIC
  • Sensors / input devices: There Sharp IR and one PING ultrasonic sensor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/w-a-l-t-e-r-v1-x

Simple design
Simple design and seems to work OK. Curious why the scanning on the sensor up and down instrad of left to right?

Scanning

That is a pan/tilt you see on the top of W.A.L.T.E.R. It just doesn’t pan that much in this version. It’s a combination of the pan/tilt and body rotation to get the scanning. Two different behaviors. :slight_smile:

I dunno…
This place might not be big enough for 2 Walters… Hmmmm…

I was surprised
I was amazed when I saw your Walter here. How long have you been working on yours? I think your Walter must be quite a bit larger than mine.

A year or so…
I am one of the old-schoolers around here I guess, I found LMR just about when it first started… I actually started with a blinking LED and went from there. I built a couple smaller bots and Walter is now the sum-total of everthing I have learned along the way. He is getting pretty good, though. I just finished my ipod tests (to add his voice) which worked great. Just last night I successfully added chunks of his new voice to the main code! --Good stuff. I should have another update post soon.

WALTER impresses
Very cool. I’ve only been doing robotics since August of 2006, and took most of 2008 off from it. I posted my W.A.L.T.E.R. 1.x so everyone could get an idea where I started with him and see the big difference when I get pictures of my progress with W.A.L.T.E.R. 2.x I always like to see where things started. :slight_smile: I also started out with the required blinky LED and moved on to blinking and sequenceing 16 LEDs and to the robot from there.

W.A.L.T.E.R. 2.0

Wow, this is OLD! :slight_smile:

I’m working on W.A.L.T.E.R. 2.0 now, and he’s almost ready to go. I’ve been “learning” about motors and motor controllers, and the experience hasn’t all been good. W.A.L.T.E.R. 2.0 is still two wheeled, but much larger (11.75" octagonal this time), and has motors instead of continuous rotation servos.

Should I start a new project for v2.x?