Viable Potato Batteries?

I'm sure many of us experimented as kids with turning a potato into a battery. I recently re-lived this experience with my seven year old son. It is a fun experiment, but the batteries produce limited voltage and current, so they are not terribly practical.

Now, researchers as Yissum Research and Development have come up with a way to increase the energy you can get from a potato battery by up to 10 times! They simply boiled it first. You can read the engadget story, or Yissum's orginal paper.

I'm thinking of issuing a challenge for building a robot powered exclusively by potato battery (other vegetables also acceptable). Any interest?

I'm out of town right now, but I'm going to try this out when I get home.

Bad ass. A Mr. Potatohead

Bad ass. A Mr. Potatohead robot dream can now be realized. Going to see how this works too when I get a chance. 10x more power. What exactly does that mean… I must find out.

I’m assuming more current

I’m assuming more current for the same voltages, but I’m not sure. Experiments will be conducted.

Yes, more current…

… but what I mean is are we talking from 1uA to 10uA or 1mA to 10mA? I know a potato cell built back in my childhood didn’t make enough current to light a lamp so I was just wondering out loud. Yes, can’t wait to play with my spud!

“I just boiled up a 2400mAH 3S 100P tuber pack. One question… how do I recharge it?” :slight_smile:

Without boiling, it would

Without boiling, it would take 2-3 potatoes to light a LED, as I recall. I think that was to get the voltage high enough, and the LED wouldn’t typically glow very brightly (or require a current limiting resistor).

So maybe each potato is 0.5 to 0.8 volts and all together you probably got less than 10mA.

I believe you get better results if your anode and cathode have a lot of surface area. So a strip of metal would work better than a wire, for example. I’ve been thinking about using a series of alternating zinc and copper plates to get higher voltage out of one potato. I imagine multiple plates in one potato will not last as long overall, but I need to try it.

multi cells in series

Better make those separate taters. Each potatoe (with the two electrodes) forms one cell in a series. “You gotta keep 'm separated!”

I will take that challenge!

This will be the first metalo-vegetarian robot on LMR (and probably the world).

Anybody know where I can get some zinc and copper foil?

Nothing Lost

Even if the experiments don’t go as planned, you can always make a nice salad afterwards. :slight_smile:

How to get zinc from a

How to get zinc from a lantern battery.

I think you can buy copper sheet from a hardware store. Copper flashing for roofs and such.

I know about zinc carbon

I know about zinc carbon cells, I used to do that as a kid, but I need more, and preferably thinner