Using external power supply with LSS - Adapter Board

I am using a LSS HT1 servo with an LSS - Adapter Board.

I connected an external 12v 25A to power it with the XT60 connector, which I connected carefully, checking polarity many times before plugged anything in.

The problem is when I tried this power source, the power fan of the power supply accelerate a lot and I stopped right away. I also tried a smaller power supply (9v and 2A) but when I tried it, the servo does not reply at all.

When I use the LSS HT1 servo using the LSS - Configuration Software , everything works as expected, but slowly since it uses only the 5v of usb cable to power the servo.

I suspect there might be a problem with the regulator? Because I have 3.73v at the output of my XT60 when I use USB, is it normal? Is there any special jumper settings to do?

I need to find a way to plug a good external supply power for this robotic project very soon… and I can’t order the https://www.robotshop.com/en/power-supply-output-12vdc-6a-input-100-240vac-switch-molded-xt60.html in France… the reference doesn’t exist in Roboshop Europe?

Thanks for your help!

Here is a picture of my card.

1 Like

Hi,

Although you seem to be sure about the polarity, using the same color of wires for V+ and GND (white in your case) is never a good idea and could easily create confusion.

This is definitely not normal. This means that the 5V automatic selection IC on the LSS Adapter is damaged and is currently backfeeding the USB 5V into the VCC input on the XT60. The 5V regulator is also most probably damaged. This can happen due to one of these two reasons: wrong polarity on the XT60 or using higher than 18V. We strongly recommend you to stop using this LSS Adapter Board.

Also, we notice that you currently have the jumpers JP11 and JP12 placed ON. These jumpers should not be placed when using the LSS Adapter in USB mode. It is only placed when the XBee Explorer Feature is used as explained here.

We will go ahead and replace the LSS Adapter for you this time, however, please double check the polarity of your power supply (we strongly suggest to use different color wires fro +V and -V) and also double check the voltage output of the power supply with a voltmeter before plugging it to the LSS Adapter.

1 Like

This topic was transferred to internal RobotShop Support.