Using Denavit-Hartenberg parameters for skeletal animation in games

Hey, I’m a programmer looking to implement articulated skeletal animation with inverse kinematics in a computer game. I’m having issues finding good programming books on the subject but have found a good book (Physics Based Animation) that uses DH parameters. The thing is that based on the searches I’ve done I’ve never seen this notation mentioned outside of robotics. It will take me some time to go through all the math to try and understand this notation and so I wanted to know before I start if for some reason I cannot use them in realtime software simulation (like games). Thanks.

Hello @Firojbhai and welcome to the forum!

I’m not very familiar with computer animation but I see no reason why would the DH parameters wouldn’t work for it. The Denavit-Hartenberg (DH) parameters are simply a convention for attaching frames to each link of a kinematic chain, and while it is possible to perform the kinematic analysis using arbitrary frames, DH parameters are commonly used for selecting frames of reference in robotic applications, so you will find lots of documentation on this subject.

However, I found this survey that I think could help you

And if you decide to use the DH parameters, this can help you define them for the structure you have in mind:
DenavitHartenberg.pdf (80.8 KB)

I hope that helps :grin: