Use "SparkFun GPS Breakout NEO-M9N U.FL (Qwiic)" with active antenna " GPS/GNSS Magnetic Mount Antenna - 3m (SMA)"

Hello,

1. can I use together these both product ? I mean with this active antenna ?

2. is this “GPS/GNSS Magnetic Mount Antenna - 3m (SMA)” a true Antenna ?
    Because the French translation, “Support Magnétique pour Antenne GPS/GNSS - 3m (SMA)” means that it is only the “support”, not the antenna.
    It will be better to translate “Antenne active GPS/GNSS avec support magnétique, câble de 3 m, connecteur SMA”.

3. How to access it from a Raspberry and NodeJs ? Is it a serial interface , created through the USB-C connector, where is received the “raw” GPS frames ?
    Like this : https://www.npmjs.com/package/gps
    Best regards.

Hello @FPI!

1. can I use together these both product ? I mean with this active antenna ?

No, that breakout board has a U.FL connector which is not compatible with that antenna. You would either need an antenna with a U.FL connector, a U.FL to SMA adapter cable, or a module compatible with the SMA antenna, like this one:

1. is this “GPS/GNSS Magnetic Mount Antenna - 3m (SMA)” a true Antenna ?

Yes, it is a true Antenna.

1. It will be better to translate “Antenne active GPS/GNSS avec support magnétique, câble de 3 m, connecteur SMA”.

Thank you for the suggestion, we will update the product title.

1. Is it a serial interface , created through the USB-C connector, where is received the “raw” GPS frames ?

The USB-C connector is used for power, you can transmit the data either by I2C, SPI or UART. You can find more information about this here:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/sparkfun-gps-neo-m9n-hookup-guide?_ga=2.120206477.469954874.1629427096-85593058.1593735346

Thank you.

1. I choosed the u.FL product because other in not available yet.
  2. ok
  3. ok for interface.
    Best regards
1 Like

Hello,
I have received my sparkfun GPS board, and I don’t find, on the link you gived me, If I can interface the board with a USB to serial converter (like the picture show).
Can you confirm ?
Best regards.

… and eventually by invertion of TX and RX between board and usb converter :slight_smile: .

Best regards

Hello @FPI,

Yes, you can use a USB to serial converter. However, I did more research, and according to a customer you can use the USB-C for power as well as data transfer:

One of the things that wasn’t clear from the product descriptions or hookup guides here or on Sparkfun was whether the USB-C connector was only for power or whether it was actually hooked up to the USB interface on the u-blox chip.

Well, I’m happy to report that yes, you can just plug it into a computer using the USB connector and it will get power and USB data as well. Windows 10 immediately recognized it and set it up as a new COM port with no special driver.

I also tested it with a 3.3V USB to TTL serial adapter which worked fine as well (I soldered upward pointing header pins onto both sets of connection points on the board).

I hope that helps!

Thank you,
it is a good news, because I have already much I2C devices.
Best regards.

1 Like