USB RoboClaw 2x15A Motor Controller - VB.Net sample code

Dear support

I have just purchased the “USB RoboClaw 2x15A Brushed DC Motor Controller” and wondered if you had any simple VB.net sample code to get one or two motors going through the USB Com port to get me started. I will build on that knowledge.

I will be testing the unit via the RC mode with it connected to the Lynxmotion SSC-32U servo controller later in the week after I get some connecting cables and controlled through my VB.Net application that controls the AL5 robotic arm.

The ION Motion Control application/utility works fine in showing that I have wired the controller up correctly.

Regards
Doug Livingstone

Hi,

Unfortunately, we don’t have VB.net sample code for the USB RobotClaw 2x15A.
On the manufacturer website, there is Python sample code, theC# class library source code and the Arduino Library with examples.

Regards,

Thank you Brahim

I will have a look at the C# library Class. It is not such a big issue for me because I will use the RC mode of the RoboClaw. It was more of a learning exercise for me to see if I could program it to use it in USB mode, which I will try at a later date.

I have wired the controller into my mobile platform and used the ION Motion Control utility to test the motors and all is OK. I will have to go out in the next day or two to get some Male-Male leads to connect the RoboClaw to the LynxMotion SSC-32U servo controller. I have a VB.net program that I send command strings to the SSC-32U to control the robotic arm and sending command string to the RoboClaw will be a simple extension to my work.

Thanks for looking.

Take care and enjoy your week.

Doug

Brahim

An update; I put they same question to ION Motion Control and here is their response.

“We currently dont have C# or VB/Net samples. However we will be working on some C# samples that show how to use the roboclaw .Net library in about 2 weeks”

I will be looking back on them in the weeks ahead to see if they produce some C# samples.

Take care and have a great day.

Doug

Hi Doug,

That’s wonderful. Thank you for the update.

Cheers,

Hi Brahim

Quick update, I have the Roboclaw connected to the SSC-32U and my Proof-of-Concept application can now drive the platform around, albeit the SSC-32U is still tethered to the PC via USB. This POC is aimed at showing some medical professionals what is possible to assist people with major physical disabilities. Every function on the POC is controlled via one clicker switch (125mm dia button). I dropped a quick list of the POC functions at the end of this message.

I have installed the WiFi Bee 2.0 chip onto the SSC32U- that I ordered from you guys and will attempt to get that going so I can run un-tethered.

I found a utility to configure the chip from seeedstudio.com and some documentation, which I can email to you if it adds to your collection as there was very little on your product page.

I have looked in the forum to see if there was any sample VB.Net code (haha) with no luck.

Take care and have a good day

Doug

[blockquote][font=Verdana,sans-serif]My Proof-Of-Concept (POC) application is really taking shape and I will send you a demo in the months ahead. The aim of this POC is to prove what is possible then look at building a real-life full-scale solution.[/font][/blockquote]

[blockquote][font=Verdana,sans-serif][/font][/blockquote]
[blockquote][font=Verdana,sans-serif]The application is driven by a user with physical disabilities through the use of one 12.5cm diameter clicker switch (button) that a user can lean on. There are many different types of switches a person can use.[/font][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]The application through the computer and a Text-To-Speak (TTS) engine will speak out with an electronic voice many pre-canned phrases that the user can select from. These phrases and many more can be created/entered into the system by a carer or medical professional.[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]The user can select and play music files on the PC (soon to be able to view photos/videos on the PC)[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]The user can control a robotic arm (LynxMotion AL5)[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]The user can turn on/off a television, change channels, return to previous channel, change volume and mute (using a USB-UIRT Transceiver)[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]The user can drive the model wheelchair.[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]Also on-board is a Pan & Tilt head that I may mount a camera or distance sensor on.[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]I am working on the ability to type messages and I need to build in a predictive text module. This will allow emails to be generated and documents written.[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]I hope to have a number of vital sign sensors soon that I can also plug in and monitor the user’s vital signs and send an alert to care services, family or friends, if thresholds are exceeded.[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]When the Help! button is selected, the screen strobes in different colours, alarms are triggered and the computer keeps saying “I require assistance. Please Help me.” to attract the attention of a carer. Eventually, I can plug in an SMS call to a carer or support service.[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]I have an on-board model of a chair that represents the users seat on a wheelchair. Soon I will be able to raise/lower this chair into a standing position as some real-life wheelchair’s can do.[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][blockquote][font=Symbol]· [/font][font=Verdana,sans-serif]There will be screens of information and instructions about the user for attending carers/medicos to use.[/font][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[blockquote][font=Verdana,sans-serif]This POC application with its very simple control mechanism will be the foundation platform for the Brain Computer Interface (BCI) to plug into. This application can also be driven any eye-gaze or head-tracking type systems. [/font][/blockquote]
[blockquote][font=Verdana,sans-serif]I will keep adding as many functions as I can, to extend a user’s independence.[/font][/blockquote]
[blockquote]
[/blockquote]
[blockquote] [font=Calibri,sans-serif][/font][/blockquote]

Hi Doug,

Thank you for the update. You project seems very nice. We are looking forward to hear more about it.
Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Hello Brahim

yes things are coming along nicely now; I raised another support ticket last night Ticket # : GNL-634-51356, to see if you could point me in the right direction for configuring the WiFi or Bluetooth shields for the SSC-32U

The tools I found I could not get to work and I wondered what you guys use. I tripped across a reference a USB adapter for the Bluetooth Bee shield (RB-DFR-95); do I need such a thing or can these chips be configured on the SSC-32U?

Have a great day

Doug

Brahim

I definitely do not wish to waste your time, Sebastien just replied to the support ticket that I mentioned.

Thanks and please close this ticket.

Have a good day

Doug