Universal AVR ISP

Hi to all, I'm quite new to AVR MCUs and I have the chips (ATmega32 16PU), but no programmer.

I'm obsessed by the word "universal", because I don't wanna buy a programmer every time I'm working with a different chip, so the question is: which is the really universal ISP for AVRs, possibly with USB connector?

Thx in advance ;-)

What I got

Get out your soldering iron!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Assembly-kit-AVR-Programmer-AVRISP-mkII-/200601125496?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb4c24278

It has USB and both the 6 and 10 pin socket spaces. One note, it comes with neither of the sockets. Those you must get yourself. The cable come with 10 pin plugs just for the record.

Edit-

I just saw you’re in Italy. Thought I’d leave the info anyhow.

Based on a very quick search …

the USBtinyISP should program more or less all AVR chips. As it was a quick search, I did not see a specific list. The FAQ says “The USBtinyISP design as-is only works with the AVR core chips (ATtiny/ATmega/etc).”

I guess, after seeing JAX’s post …

my suggestion is about as useful. The only bonus on the one I posted is that it is to work with Windows, MacOS, and Linux. :slight_smile:

An AVRISP mkII ($34) will

An AVRISP mkII ($34) will automatically upgrade the firmware via AVR Studio to support future 8-bit AVR devices so I recommend it as I also own one.  You can also spend more to get a JTAG programmer that will support 32-bit AVRs and better debugging.

Thank You all for

Thank You all for suggestions. Well, the AVRISP mkII is the one which inspire me the most… one more question: are you using it with Linux or Windows?

I’m using it with Windows 7

I’m using it with Windows 7 x64 and AVR Studio 4. I recommend using AVR Studio as I think its a decent IDE.

Yes, I know with Windows

Yes, I know with Windows works perfectly, but I’d like to listen the opinion of one using it on Linux, that’s my interest :wink:

What IDE under linux?

What IDE under linux?

I don’t know… maybe gedit

I don’t know… maybe gedit + gcc for AVR + some AVRISP driver for chip programming stuffs. When programming C for the PC, gedit + gcc is very powerfull, though not as sophisticate as an IDE.

I installed Bluefish

I installed Bluefish yesterday for use with GCC Linux applications as gedit was annoying me as it doesn’t automatically tab newlines (perhaps a feature I didn’t discover though).  But for AVR programming I prefer AVR Studio IDE.