Unable to control an RMD actuator from MyActuator via CAN

Hi there! Back in January I bought an actuator from RobotShop, and have had some luck getting it to work. The model number is strange: RMD12025 which isn’t listed anywhere on their website, and I had to email them to get any documentation at all. What I got were the RMD-L Series Servo Actuator User Manual, and references for RDM servo motor control protocol (CAN BUS)V1.64, and (RS485)V1.64.

I have successfully gotten it to work with the RMD.exe app included in the package, and have also managed to read data over the CAN bus from the actuator. However, none of the motion control commands seem to work: torque current, speed, or position (multi-turn or single).

My questions are: Does anyone here have any experience getting these actuators to work? Is there some configuration I need to perform to put it into an appropriate mode before sending it any motion commands?

I am communicating with the actuator from an Adafruit Feather M4 CAN Express.

1 Like

Oh, never mind. I figured it out. I was only populating 4 bytes of the CAN packet, rather than 8. It works now.

1 Like

Hi @tigakub ,

Good to hear that the problem is solved, even without help of this forum :slight_smile: