UART or CANBUS + encoder capable motor controller for DC brushed motors?

Hi

I am looking for a motor controller that will work with a Jetson TX2 board. It uses UART or CANBUS. I am considering 2x DC brushed motors to power my robot, equipped with hall or quadrature sensors for feedback. The motors only need around 60 rpm, and around 0.6 Nm torque so I have been looking at low-ish end brushed DC motors. They will be powered from a 4500mAh, 4S lipo. The controller would ideally be low cost, £80 maximum.

Please can you suggest Robotshop items which may be appropriate?

Many thanks

Hello there!

Here are two motors which should fit your needs:

Since your battery provide 14.8V, you will need to drop the voltage with a dc/dc converter if you want to drive the 6V motor but it will work fine on the 12V motor.

As for the motor controller, here is a good one which accepts UART https://www.robotshop.com/uk/cytron-smartdriveduo-smart-dual-channel-10a-motor-driver.html

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Magmotor

Thank you very much for your reply, that looks to be spot on! Its also affordable for this project which is great. Will the controller need a heat sink attaching if running up towards the 10A end? Secondly I could not see it mentioned, but does the controller definitely accept and process the hall sensor output?

I am not familiar with the Jetson TX2 board, but it seems that you should be able to send the encoder output to one of the Jetson’s GPIO.
The motor driver itself does not have any encoder input ports.