Two-Speed Gearbox Concept

I come from the FIRST Robotics Competition, and recently, I designed a gearbox that can shift between two different speeds. This is mounted "invertedly", meaning that the motor shaft points inward of the test chassis as opposed to outward. The piston has a special mount called the "DOG" gear, and that latches to either of the two gear combinations on the lower shaft, allowing that shaft to rotate with that combination's speed and torque.

The design has some flaws (like for instance, I forgot a shaft clap to hold the big gear in place). So my question is to the other robot builders: do you find a practical use in implementing such a gearbox, or would you prefer to stick with single speed gearboxes, or similar ones that are not as complex? I'm just wondering, because some people say I'm "overdosed with FIRST," and I also want to design robots on my own with different purposes, and I find LMR to be a great resource because there are builders from different backgounds with different expertise. Keep in mind that in the competitions, these are usually designed for pushing matches against other robots for defense, and so that the current doesn't kill the electronics. 

Thanks!

Depends on the task at hand.

Low gear for going up hills and tough environmet, also better control. High gear for high speed travelling.

In practice, few have that need. I like it though, looks good.

Internal Combustion Engines

Internal Combustion Engines are harder to control, you can’t just half the fuel and expect it to run run at half speed, you need also to half the air flow, and even if you manage to do it, the motor may not be efficient at all, because it has the overehead to feed itself, so if you cut down too much the feeding it may stop because it is unable to provide itself the fuel and air.

Electric motors need just voltage and current, and have a much lower overhead.

However gearing adds overhead to the motor, limiting top speed, so if you need a robot to crawl up a hill and then charge at high speed, a gearbox is needed. A gearbox may be as simple as just one motor, a solenoid or mocroservo, and a shift which adds or lift gears.

oops, posted in wrong forum

oops, posted in wrong forum