Turntable based polisher

Hi all. I have a requirement for a new machine, very much in embryo at the moment. Basically it is a machine to polish a disc of resin to a certain, very subtle profile. I was thinking stepper powered turntable, with an x,y (y,z?) frame at the sides to position the polishing mop. Kind of like an upright lathe. I think I can see the vertical axis being the problem child here. Anyone built anything similiar, or any suggestions/ideas? TIA.

Hi @Robert72,

You would like to build something like this?

Thanks for the reply . No, more like a heavier duty MDF turntable in a CNC. In fact that is basically what I am going to do. An MDF base, with bearings underneath supporting an MDF turntable driven by a stepper motor. with 2 linear X axis drives either side, supporting a Z axis. The polishing mop will be positioned vertically on the Z axis, moved back and forth by the X axis over the turntable. The turntable speed and X axis feed rate will be controlled to give constant area rate polishing.

A question relating to this project. What is the best way to have a speed controlled polishing mop? I was think of a max speed of about 1500 - 2000 rpm, but too fast for a stepper. I guess that just leaves DC control? At least it’s low torque.