Track & sprocket kit recommendations

I am looking for tracks and sprockets for a robot our high school club is building from scratch. Can anyone offer guidance on a kit or a list of compatible Lynxmotion parts? Money is tight, I’d like to buy the minimum set of parts.
Thanks.
Mike

1 Like

@cbenson probably has an idea or two to offer :slight_smile:

If you have access to a 3D printer, maybe consider printing some instead? You can find designs online pretty easily and if you are handy with CAD software (or hosted, like OnShape or something), you can even make your own! :open_mouth:

@mmuratet Welcome to the RobotShop Community.

Normally you would need to choose:

1. Design the robot around a specific track and sprocket
  2. Custom-make a track / sprocket
  3. Use a modula track / sprocket.

You can find RobotShop’s selection of tracks here:

There are several modular track systems, so any suggestion will need to be based on the size / weight of the robot you want to build.

If you want the list of compatible Lynxmotion parts:

There are two widths of track: 2" and 3", two sets of 2" track (one used for the Johnny 5 robot, the other for the A4WD MTS kit). Next, you would choose the sprocket diameter you want, and last, the hubs (idler and driving). All of these parts are available on RobotShop.

1 Like

Their (8th grade students) design has a base that’s about 10 cm square. It will have an arm with a grabber. I think the motors will be the heaviest bits and the whole thing will come in about 5 kg. Looking at the links you sent, I can see I must have 6mm hubs. I’m thinking four MTS 15T sprockets, two TRK-01 tracks, and an idler set. I am not sure how that would mount to the chassis they are contemplating, but it will be good practice for them to figure it out. Thanks!

1 Like

So 10cm x 10cm excluding the tracks? 5Kg is incredibly heavy for such a small robot. For example, this track kit would be almost perfect:

Center to center distance is 8.25cm, plus the diameter of one wheel would be just over 10cm.
However, this only works with one specific motor shaft:

There are other variations of this motor as well.
This track kit was used in the example of How To Make a Robot:
1 Like