The Robot Pot - Drinking my way into robotics

It's a well known fact that 97.3% of the UK population (babies included) are alcholics; according to the government definition of binge drinking anyway. Well I follow in that proud national tradition, but nevertheless think it would be good for the body if I could cut down. I've also decided it would be good for the soul for me to get into robotics and doubly as good if it could be neutral for the wallet.

robot_pot.jpg

I studied for a degree in Maths and AI and have always had a great deal of interest in robotics, however until I found out about the robots constructed here (thank you YDM), I had no idea how cheap these sort of controllers had become. The last time I looked into this, you were staring down the wrong end of several hundred quid. Unfortunately, living in the UK a lot of the prices mentioned here translate pretty instantly into pounds (despite an exchange rate of about 2:1... grr), which still makes £120 quid worth of gear a lot to burn because I can't solder for toffee.

All of which brings to the the point of the post: my cunning plan to drink beer less and make more robots. I have decided that every time I choose to substitute a drink for water, I'll put the money saved into the robot pot! When I have enough, I'll buy a chunk of the bot and play with it until I get enough for the next bit.

So the first chunk is of course the Pixace 28x1 starter kit. So far the pot stands at a mighty £17.26 tiddly pom!... hmm. Well I've not been at it for long.

Long life and robotics!

Update

Ok, so after some serious pint dodging the pot is now at £52.50, (I rounded off the pennies). But reality has struck and I know it makes more sense to get everything from the same shop at once. So I'm waiting on must £5 pounds more. Easy.

Too right! thats great that

Too right! thats great that your not drinking as much any more and your speech using words like tiddly and toffee. lol pretty cool

well its a pretty fairdinkum idea and i hope it goes the right way for you. and the YDM was quite inspiring, yew beauwty!

im from Aus and the prices for parts (over the net) are MASSIVE for a person like me. 14 year old but you can check my robots =)

think its a nice way to
think its a nice way to change of adiacts… but becarful, build robots is like alchol, after start you can’t stop :slight_smile:

Hey - At least you do not

Hey - At least you do not have to pay for international shipping! You live in Picaxe-country!!

Often I buy something, and pay twice or more due to shipping / P&P / taxes and what have you.

I’d wish I was living in Picaxe-land. (My wife think I do, but that’s another story)

Cheers… oh no… erh… well… cheers in water!

/ Fritsl

PS: Stop eating chips to your fish as well then… You can buy chips for that money too!

Stonking!

What a stonking idea.

I, too suffer fro the UK problem. (No, not ALCOHOLISM!) Tonight, I DIDN’T drink 2 cans of Tetly’s mild, so my robot pot stands at £1.54. (That’s around $3, for our American-speaking cousins.) Nevertheless, I spent £15 on a seconad-hand wiper motor from a NIssan micra today. So, that means I have to drink 19.48 cans less of Tetly’s this month.

It’s a tall order. Keep us posted!

God created the integers; all else is the work of man - Leopold Kronecker

The harsh reality of postage

Hurray! It’s good to imagine another robot pot out there. Saving the nations health and building robots one can at a time.

Well my pot now has about £35 ($70) in it which is enough for the Pixaxe starter kit. Along with the LEDs I knabbed that would be enough to start getting familiar with the chip. However common sense has told me off, and insists that I buy everything I’m going to from the same vendor in one go.

I was looking at getting the SRF05 and some other bits and bobs, so I’m looking at about another £15… so close!

Less is More

To be honest, I was wondering how to drink 19.48 cans les this month, when I don’t really drink more than about 8-10 in a month. I was thinking. Maybe I shouldn’t do this right now. I should start drinking in pubs instead of carry-outs and then, when I start my robot pot, I’ll be able to save about £4.50 per pint instead of just 79p.

What do you make of that for a plan?

Going out is the new staying in

Good lord. £4.50 a pint!? Do you sup upon only the finest beverages brewed by devoted monks retained to your personal service? I’d be very poor, sober or covered in robots at that rate; possibly a combination of all three.

I only really apply the rule at the pub and set the standard hock at £2.50, just to make the money easier. It also means that I can go to the stupid trendy bars that some of my friends seem to be into and still only pay my £2.50 no matter the price.

I’ve seen a few of my mates go teetotal, and not only did they look thoroughly miserable, but they never came out because going to the pub just rubs in the fact you aren’t drinking. This way you can have a few pints if you want to (you just don’t get any cash) and it encourages you to be sociable to make opportunities to save up.

Exaggeration for Comic Effect

OKay, so maybe it only FEELS like £4.50 a pint. I am confused, though by one aspect of the rules, here: personally, I’d put £10 in the jar each time I turned down the opportunity of a pint in a trendy bar.

Your only excuse, though, when not going out is “I’m staying in to build robots”. Then all your mates call you “saddo.” I know; I’ve been on the receiving end of this activity.