The Revenge of the Yellow(Arduino) Drum Machine

I am working on an Arduino powered Yellow Drum Machine. I have all of the physical parts functional. Now I am working on the code. I have just completed translating all of Frits's songs to the format I need. Now I just need to coordinate the control structure to allow it to autonomously move around, make decisions, and to play its little heart out. More later...

I needed to have a larger base to attach the solenoids to.  The gray material is a scrap plastic I got from ordering polystyrene for vacuum-forming.  I don't know what type it is, but it it fairly brittle.  I cut it out using a jig saw

Here it is attached to the base with self-tapping screws. 

.This is a closeup of the oid connection to the hihat drum stick.

This is the robot base I used.  It can be found be searching for      "Six leg walking type gearbox kit Elenco 21-13".

I don't know how specific anyone wants me to get.  I killed two of the Radio Shack sound recorders.  I'm not sure what happened.  They worked for a while, and then the playback just died.  So I ended up using this Sparkfun recorder/playback breakout board.  It is working fine as of now.

I tried the Sparkfun sound sensor, but couldn't get it to work.  I read a post that this sensor was very good, so I built it from scratch.  It works great!  

My little drum machine uses the PING))) and a CDS photocell and the sound sensor to react to the environment.  It chooses songs based on the data it has collected about its surroundings.  The gearbox base gives it a fun movement - it kind of wobbles and drifts as it moves.  The gearbox also has little legs you can use instead of the disk wheels.  I have programmed in several behaviors.  I used a timer library to call random behaviors every 10 seconds.  30% of the time it will search out an object and then beat a funky beat.

I will continue to work on the code.  I would like to use the piezo speaker to play little melodies as it moves around its environment.  I think that's it unless anyone is interested in more specifics.

plays a funky beat on surfaces

• Actuators / output devices: 12 volt solenoids
  • Control method: autonomous
  • CPU: Arduino - Bare Bones from Modern Device
  • Power source: 6 volt 1000mAh
  • Programming language: Arduino ide
  • Sensors / input devices: PING))) sonar

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://community.robotshop.com/robots/show/the-revenge-of-the-yellow-arduino-drum-machine

cool robot.
Hey, cool robot you have… Its already making some kind of music. nice! are you using solenoids or DC motors for the drumsticks?

info

I just added a photo closeup of the solenoid attachment to the hihat stick.  I have some auto door locker solenoids that I picked up cheap in about 1990!  I have found some cheap ones from AllElectronics, but I haven’t tested them.  I have the Arduino triggering the solenoids through a TIP 120 transistor.  I will write more specific info later when I have more time.

PING head

Thanks.  That was Frits’s original idea.  The metal on a wine bottle does sound very cool.

backstory conversation with Frits

Hello Frits,

I am adapting your code to the Arduino.  So far I have most of the elements working.  However, I can not figure out how the SHFL variable is returned to 0.  I can see that the shuffle delay only happens when SHFL =0, but SHFL is incremented by one (SHFL = SHFL+1) before the “if” statement.  And I can not find out how SHFL returns to 0 or possibly a negative number.

I am amazed by your robot and your ideas for drumming.  I am using solenoids to move the sticks.  I would love to share some photos of my robot if you are interested.

Cheers

Charles

Hey Charles, 

Fantastic :) 

Charles question first: The variable “SHFL” is a single bit. And so, if you increase it more than the value 1, you overflow it, and it turns zero. Ugly coding is my middle name :wink:

I am a self-taught robot builder.  Here are some of the projects I have done:

This is a BEAM circuit.  I used the little Solarbotics pager geared motors and took off the spring and cut the piece that prevented full rotation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxeHcueqj0c

This is a Halloween costume I created using servos and an Arduino:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE9nvD7tDS4&context=C4537180ADvjVQa1PpcFMQLtfRVvdRcO4esk4_uLET1jo6deSk2uQ=

And a biped I scratch built:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_2QIr0ir0c&feature=context&context=C4537180ADvjVQa1PpcFMQLtfRVvdRcO4esk4_uLET1jo6deSk2uQ=

And an 8 legged walker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRCJKMY2TKA&feature=context&context=C4537180ADvjVQa1PpcFMQLtfRVvdRcO4esk4_uLET1jo6deSk2uQ=

I just uploaded a video of my Drum Machine to YouTube:  http://youtu.be/PDIl2oeA2FE

I still need to add the sound recorder/playback and complete the code, but all of the components are working.

I also have this page with some photos of my early robots.  I have been neglectful of adding new information.  I am currently also working on a robot that uses a netbook and a vision system to identify a colored object and drive up to and touch it.  It uses a compass for navigation.  It also uses a sound board to speak.

I just re-worked a hexapod that I scratch built and hacked an old Nintendo Power Glove as a controller.  It uses xbee units to communicate.  The hexapod has five different gaits all based on insect walking motions.

I am sure that my code is pretty funky.  I took a couple of simple BASIC programming classes back in the early 1980s.  However, I can get most things to work the way I want them to.  

I recently had an article published in SERVO magazine about using a horse syringe and a balloon and coffee grounds to make a “universal gripper.”  You can read some of the article here:

http://servo.texterity.com/servo/201201/?folio=44#pg44

I think that’s about it.  I am very interested in working with you two on the drum machine; it sounds like fun.

You have made 3 “milestones” in my book - so I know you are good:

A) Conversion to Arduino. Only one other person (TheCowGod) have I

seen do this (Though I think he just wrote his own code)

B) Fixed the Pager-moter-issue; These are extremely costly. Solenoids

sounds cheaper!! (Though a lot of cobber and funky magnetic

pulse-stuff)

C) Your robot is actually funky!

I have a been compressing my video into 15 fps.  But here’s a full quality version of my little drummer so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYlqiqa5VEw&feature=youtu.be

Let’s keep in contact.

Cheers

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wehee!! Thanks! I think you want the sticks to be approx 60% of the

current length. Much faster, more precise.

Cheers,

Frits

So Sad!  They look so cool long.  But I will try what you suggest.  It will probably improve the drumming!  Thanks

You know, I’ve never registered at Let’s Make Robots.  I guess it’s time.  I was thinking of creating an Instructable detailing the steps. 

I finally found some time to transfer all of the song data.  Now I have to code the control structure to select songs to play.  It looks like that the aaaa:  and other areas choose which song to play.  They use a “random” number, but it looks like the number is just incremented in a different part of the code.  So that aaaa: plays song 1 then the next time song 2 and so  on till it is reset back to the first song. 

Would it work just to have a totally random song selected?  Or it could make sure that it didn’t repeat a song it just played but select a different song.  Would that work with your plan?  Does it matter?

Cheers

Charles

I wrote this code in many versions. But I think I always worked from this principle: although the result in reality is random: first the robot is “getting inspired” from the surroundings, and then it plays.

Other versions did more for this, but they had other downsides. Challenge is always memory, which I like, it keeps a virtual border around creativity.

As I remember it, the version you have is more or less a random remix of some tracks, so if you have no feeling for the principle of the robot “being inspired”, just make it random. :slight_smile:

I am thinking of adding a CDS photocell sensor to the robot.  That way I could use that data to have it choose which songs to play, based on the amount of light in the area.