The Not-Roomba Project

I am making something similar in shape to a Roomba. It will be used as a mode of transportation, however. Like a hoverboard. I am thinking of taking parts from both of these different items to make my robot. I just don’t know how I will exactly do it in practice. In theory, I will make a test. Just to see the best design for the outer shell. Either I will make a model of plastic with a PVC pipe frame, or one made fully of wood. Likely the wood option.

I am not sure how to explain what I want to make… but it could be a mode of transportation or, even, in police operations using software similar to what normal Roombas use to map houses, it can map the floor plans of warehouses and find safe places of entry to illegal substance busts. Or map buildings and then be programmed to lead people to the quickest emergency escape path. What I want to make is like, a super Roomba.

Back on the topic of help, though. I was thinking aluminum for the body and frame. Treated so it doesn’t react with water. A matinence panel, with a rubber seal similar to the door of a car, housing an LCD screen and the ports I will use to load the code to the robot. There will be rubber accents that serve as bumpers and waterproofing. I have some resources I have been looking at for the topic of the internal/electrical parts.

I just need some feedback and assistance on really starting the design process.

Hello @Bread52487 and welcome to the RobotShop community,

The mechanical part is not my strong suit so I will not be able to help you much in that area, however, I think this information may be helpful to you.

There are many aspects to consider when building a robot and in general terms the “How To Make A Robot” tutorial series covers most of these so I suggest checking it out

Also, there is a project that could also help you called Robokut, which is a guide that explains how to make a lawnmower but it could also be very useful to you

As you mentioned floor mapping I thought I should point you to Rotational LIDARS which are commonly used on robot vacuums and are perfect for mapping as well as obstacle avoidance. You could also take some inspiration from robots that use this technology, for example:

I hope that helps!