The Making of CircumPic

What follows represents my aim at documenting the creation of my yet to be named robot using a picaxe18x for brain and a l293d for motor control. Hopefully at the end i should be able to control the robot via IR and also have the ability to flip into auto mode. Too much to expect from an 18X ? We'll see.

July 11, 2011

So I had some more extra time on hand, a left over pack of type C batteries (6 cells) I had original bought for a baby's rocker. Using the off the shelf package for teh batteries I fashioned (simply reused original package) a battery holder with some good old foil paper. Then using a Led cable from an old PC I connected the "battery pack" to my motor board (which also doubles as my PSU). Connected my Brianboard , taking a few out puts to send direction signals back to the motorboard. 

The video below is the end result.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xbVHrJ66tlE?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

June 12, 2011

After a long break and one kid later I am back to my lazy ways. Decided to finish "CircumPIC" my 18X autonomus robot. Spent the last couple of weeks roving Lowe's , the Dollar store and even the local grocery just looking for stuff to complete the body of my bot. I have included a shot below. 

Parts include 

2 Furniture brackets from Lowes

some very small nuts and bolts, even found soem long enough and just right to fit the holes on the solarobtics GM8 geared motors. Take a look. Promise I won't be too long before showing the full end product.

CirCumPic_023.jpg

May 20, 2010

I am trying to take this in stages but its hard not trying to rush and do all things at once. I had everything assembled on a breadboard but forgot to take that picture before assembling on a perf board. The image that follows is of the almost finish product. I need to finish making the paths to the final three output pins. 

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

t

IMG_0781.jpg

Power will be supplied by an external 5v regulated power supply that will be on the same board as the motor driver for locomotion. Notice I choose to use double rows for both input and output rails. One row will form the common ground and the other either ADC or digital inputs based on the pin. After testing and confirming that download works I realized that it would be cooler if I at least had an led to confirm power to the board. Will be adding that tonight as well as complete the last three IO pins. 

May 21, 2010 @ 21:26

Finally found a name for my bot "CircumPic", nice merged the fact that the body is a circle and the brain is a pixace18x

May 24, 2010 @15:05

I finally finished my motor driver excluding the 0.1uf caps not here yet will insert later. i built in a triple row for power tapping outside pins are regulated 5V , center pins ground (0V) and the inner row is unregulated power straight from the power supply. I also included green leds for forward and red for reverse.

CircumPic_019.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVHrJ66tlE

He’s coming along nicely.

He’s coming along nicely. Keep us updated.