The Maker Boat Basic is [almost] Complete!

Hello fellow robot enthusiasts!

For the past few months I have been working on a robotic boat, as you can see in this video of it’s maiden voyage (pic below): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-jTp1Bfso

Well, actually it is a modular “brain” and thruster system that can be mounted on anything small that floats (think surfboard, paddle board, kayak, and so on). For the moment, it is mounted on an old boogie board that a friend was going to chuck in the bin. I am writing up the build docs and BOM and for now it is good enough. The electronics are housed in an IP65 junction box and they are mounted on 5 mm craft plywood that I cut with my 4 yr old in an attempt to keep her occupied for 15 minutes during lockdown. I am designing 3D printed mounting surfaces for the electronics in the enclosure, but that will take a bit of time. For now, it works!

This boat uses a Radiolink Pixhawk from Robot Shop. I am also not 100% happy with this. I had a lot of trouble getting the telemetry radios working. I have a Holybro Pixhawk 4 and my next step, after the new enclosure mounts, will be to swap out the Radiolink knock off for something a bit better. Either the Holybro or perhaps a Cube. We shall see.

Briefly, the rest of the core components include 2 x Blue Robotics T200 thrusters and their Basic ESCs. For Tx/Rx I am using FrSky X9 Lite and X8R. It runs off a 4S 5000 mAh LiPo and I just got some decouplers from Mikrocopter to run 2 LiPos in parallel.

I’ll post the build docs and BOM soon!

2 Likes

@nuballawalla Quite literally the project I had planned for the summer.

• 2x T200 thrusters
  • Pixhawk
  • Long-range gear
  • Kickboard

You’ll be the one who is able to give some real data about how much of a current it can fight.

The T200 thrusters are surprisingly fast. I have been really impressed. My little boat cruises at 3 m/s and I’ve pushed it up to 5 m/s quite a few times. The current in the river here is pretty strong and it can make headway against it. I don’t send it out into the center of the river because I don’t have a way to rescue it if something happens. 2 x T200s and the Pixhawk are expensive enough for me to play it safe until I’m confident in its abilities…

Looking forward to a few more views. Do you have a total weight? As you said, you’ll be posting the build docs and BOM, so looking forward to seeing that.

I haven’t weighed it, but my 4 yr old can carry it…

Hi @cbenson - the complete build docs are now up on my website - https://squirm.tech/

It’s a work in progress, so any feedback is appreciated!

Site’s well done! I’d only suggest adding more photos / images.

I got a 404 error trying to reach squirm.tech

Project looks very good on this page!

Yeah, hosting issue. Spent 30 minutes in the support chat. Should be back up now…