The best "cliff" detector

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has any personal preferance towards sensors for cliff detection. I am starting a new robot that needs this. Any suggestions?

Microswitch with roller
Microswitch with roller activator. Have the roller of the microswitch rest against the floor. When the activator is deactivated you are flying off a cliff.

LOL I think by then it is
LOL I think by then it is probably too late and the bot should deploy its parachute or gadget-copter!

Well you can put it on the
Well you can put it on the ends of your robot.

What do you mean by flush
What do you mean by flush with the bottom?
How can you not use a switch with a picaxe 28x1?

Thanks for the suggestion,
Thanks for the suggestion, but I want something that can be flush with the bottom. Something that will work with a picaxe 28x1

the bottom of my robot is
the bottom of my robot is completely flat, so something that I could fit in by cutting some of the bottom out and fitting it so the bottom is basicly flush again.

so the bottom is completely
so the bottom is completely flat

May I suggest, because looks

May I suggest, because looks matters:

https://www.robotshop.com/letsmakerobots/node/1833

Use a pressure sensor at the

Use a pressure sensor at the very front and back of the robot. When it is on the floor the sensor is closed. If it starts to go over stairs the sensor opens. As long as your robot isnt moving too fast it will work and can be made cheap.

I would use string
Simply measure from the center of the table to the edge, subtract the length of your robot and tie the string to the back. Scheesh, you techie guys and your sensors!! --K.I.S.S.

Thanks for all the great
Thanks for all the great suggestions, But I am really looking for something that can be hidden away completely. So, I have a question: Could I put a sensor in the head to detect cliffs? I’m thinking no becuase it will be searching for objects and wont have much time to stare down.

Something that makes contact

Something that makes contact with the ground and detects when it is no longer making contact with the ground would work. It could also be out of sight. The only downside is if the sensor didnt report back fast enough to stop the motors it could go off the stairs.

Ya, my robot will be fairly
Ya, my robot will be fairly fast, so that would be a problem. The aluminum body would help though.

The mini-sumo bot in

The mini-sumo bot in JunkBots, BugBots, and Bots on Wheels has a kind of "drop switch" to detect the edge of the sumo ring. The switch is normally open, but when the bot reaches the edge of the table the feeler drops and closes the switch causing the bot to back and turn. Looks to me like you could make it out of a paper clip, some insulation and a bit of metal coat-hanger.

Mike

Hehehe I’d equip it with a
Hehehe I’d equip it with a voice synth, or pre-recorded with “oh shiiiii-” while it flys off!

sumo bot

parallax’s sumo robot are using the QTI IR sensors

can be used to detect cliffs (but sensible to floor color), really small and easy to hide under any robot

I use it for cliff detection and “wheel encoding”