The Atrax - A Tarantula inspired octopod

Awesome work! It came together nicely! I like the “eyes” and the mandibles.

Something tells me you have done this kind of work before. I don’t know, just a hunch… :laughing:

Now we need a video.

Great video and demonstration of all the gaits! 8)

Maybe try to reduce the total travellength for each leg for avoiding conflict? I’m also wondering why you raised the body so much when doing the body rotation and translation since the legs easily got over-stretched. Maybe decreasing the total horisontal distance between the coxa’s and the tars too would help too? (By adjusting the inital positions.)

Cool to see a walking octopod again!

great work. the gait looks really good and im very impressed with it. i agree with zenta about reducing the total travellength.

the front pincers look great to. they work well. 8)

Thanks for your impressions!

Good idea Zenta, you’re right. I’ll try to do it. I’ve a lot to improve on this spider to allow it to work a bit better! I suppose that the femurs have to be a bit shorter. They have 74 mm long. The tips are catched by the carpet on the floor when walking! Probably a bit too sharp. I’m delighted to plan the next one with aluminium.

Watching that video makes you quickly forget that it’s made of wood. The next aluminum chassis ought to be really cool. Great video! 8)

Wow. Just found this thread. Great job! :smiley:

Hi, here is the link for an excellent PDF file by DONALD M. WILSON, from the University of California, Berkeley:

jeb.biologists.org/cgi/reprint/47/1/133.pdf

This is the main document I studied to implement walking gaits in the Atrax. By the way, I’m surprised that it is so difficult to find some useful documents about walking for 8 legged arthropods on the web.

As summary, have a look on the stepping pattern I implemented in the famous Xan’s code V2.0:

Scorpion.PNG
Tarantula.PNG
Metachronal1.PNG

Anymore updates on this project. i still love watching the video.

will you be sharing the gaits code form?

Great project.

Can the pinchers pick up anything, or are they just for looks?

Great work!

For the chassis where are places that laser cut thin wood and plastic (acrylic) for a low price. customlasercutting.com/ is one of them. but if you don’t want to pay shipping, I’m sure there are places near you that would laser cut.

by the way, what servo controller are you using?

Nice job!

Realy great work. Those gaits look absolutely real!

But figuring them out is like setting the spark pattern on a V8 distributor from memory…

Wow, I didn’t make the analogy with a V8 spark distributor! Interesting!
I used

• a Lynxmotion SCC-32 card as servo controller (32 channels - 29 are used)
  • a Bot Board II and Basic Atom Pro 28 for the ucontroller card.

can i know what distance angle of each of the foot of this robot?

Hi reymerski,

Here are the Values of the Coxa Angles projected on the “z” axis:
L/R 1 -> 52°
L/R 2 -> 18°
L/R 3 -> -26°
L/R 4 -> -60°

in fact, 52° was needed instead of 60 to allow a bit more space for the fangs in the front (legs L/R 1)

why do use this angle?

can i know what battery supply you used for the 24 servo motor to run?

He wrote he used 2 peces of MiMh 1600mAh 6V (page one)

ok… so you use two 6v battery… how long it will last? and one last thing what is the purpose of the micro switch?