Teensy 3.1 based BotBoarduino type carrier board

Looks like the spec was updated, although it still mentions AVR processor, 72 MHz

Kurt

Hey Kurt, i think we posted at the same time.
Look above… :wink:

Hi Eric,

I think you are going by this page? pjrc.com/teensy/index.html
That is next to a table that shows all of the different Teensy products including Teensy 2 and 2++ which are AVR based…
The table to the right of it shows more information about the specific product, including that it is an Arm Cortex M4…

I will point this out to PJRC as well…

Kurt

So I picked up the two sets of fabricated boards this morning :slight_smile:

For some reason the portion of the picture showing the parts that are SMD came out a little strange, but I think the boards are just fine.

Now all I need to do is try building one of each to see what new mistakes I made :laughing:

Kurt

Really? You make mistakes ? :wink:
Very nice (corner rounded) boards.

Well I decided to start to assemble one of the Through hole parts boards to see what issues might come up. One thing I have come up with so far is the mounting of the 5v VR. The Sucker is tall, which I knew, but thought I could probably mount it somewhat flush, but the holes are not wide enough to go over the wider portions of them… I also purchased a couple of the DC to DC converter types, which is used on the Arbotix-M boards. These are nice as they waste less energy, but, they require 7v…

I put a blank board with one of the other regulators in it, so you can see the differences in size.

Not sure the best approach here. Could layout the board different such that the larger VR can go flat. You can already bend it over some. Also could look for other VR that is smaller… Or could try to layout the board such that the VR is not under shield area.

Arduino-Header-Heights.jpg
This picture is showing a few different options I have for Arduino headers. The short ones are the standard size ones in most boards. The middle ones are some samples that Samtec sent me (example ESW-108-12-T-S) . They look like the same size as the Seeeduino XBee adapter uses. Will probably go with these. The really tall ones are another Samtec version I purchased earlier. I think these may be too tall. The same series has some whose heights are half way between those two.

Still lots of soldering to go…

Can it be mounted from the bottom without any issues?

yes, assuming you have clearances…

Also looking at an SSC-32, it uses an LM2937ES VR which does not have the larger heat sink on it, also they double bent the leads over such that the extra height of these, which I just did with my board. I think I can bend it over enough to hopefully work…

I may edit the board design a little to move the transister for the speaker over a bit to make more room. Not that I will order any of these yet, but if others want…

Edit: Also figured out I did an oops with choosing the 5v VR. As the order of the pins on the LM1085 is different than I thought I verified. I thought it was the same as the LM2937, and the switching regulator I picked to try out. That is on those devices the Pins are: 1=Input, 2=Gnd, 3=Output, but with the LM1085 it is 1=Inupt, 2=Output, 3=GND. So the current part won’t work! So I unsoldered it and put in one of the switching units. If I assemble another one, will probably just order an LM2937, or maybe one of these: digikey.com/product-detail/en/MIC29150-5.0WT/576-1106-ND/771575 Again this is only for the through hole parts version

Will update parts list soon, showing issue and possible parts…

Kurt

I finished assembling the one:

I have not done a lot of testing yet, did verify I could program it, which I first tried my Teensy Test sketch. I did verify the speaker outputs…

As I was concerned about the height of the VR, I put on two shields. The bottom one is a Seeedstudio XBee adapter and the top one is the Adafruit 2.8" tft display… As you can see in the picture, that the slightly higher headers does help add additional room under it.

Also I ran my start of a remote control, that I hacked on earlier to work with the Adafruit 2.8" tft with touch and it runs :0

As you can see the SPI output is working and it also responds to the touch input, so I know at least some of the card is working… I will do some more testing over the next few days.

Kurt

Late yesterday I had a Rice Crispy event with the board :frowning: Snap, crackle, Pop… And the telltale blue smoke.

It appears I soldered in the new VR backwards :blush: So when I applied 12v to the board, I saw the main processor on the Teensy Pop… Not sure yet if I will try to unsolder the Teensy from this or just build a whole new board…

Kurt

Oh… that’s sad… :frowning:
Did it was a good show at least ?

It was sort of a good show in that I actually saw the main processor pop, and you can see in the picture where it went poof. Also the VR in the wrong way…

If I had a hot solder rework system, I would probably try to pull the Teensy board, VR and see the state of the other components, may still try before I just make a different one as there were a lot of connections…

Kurt

You should always use sockets for components that can be replaced easily. :wink:

8-Dale

Thought about that, but was concerned about the height of it as it is under the Arduino Shield headers, may try it on the next go round.

Question: has anyone tried and have any recommendations for using (or not) one of the reasonably priced solder rework stations?
Examples:
sparkfun.com/products/10706
adafruit.com/product/1869
amazon.com/gp/product/B004ZB … d_i=507846

Has anyone tried to replace chips like this, and/or used it to make it easier to remove parts with multiple pins?

Thanks

I have replaced smt parts like that in my past job.
With a heat gun… Being careful to not touch anything but the part since everything is unsoldered because of too large end for heating.