Technical Questions

Hi,

I am interested in purchase a robotic arm for a senior design project, it will be mounted on an RC Rover.

Questions are as follows.

Model i am looking at is Lynxmotion AL5D, RB-LYN-843.

1. there is an option for a bluetooth module, is this for remote capabilities or just to hook up to a computer via bluetooth?
  2. since this robotic arm will be used remotely, wirelessly, i am assuming i will need a battery pack, correct? if so, which one do i need?
  3. botboarduino vs. ssc-32u, which one is needed to work remotely via controller. again this will be mounted on an RC rover and be operated remotely from a distance. what is the difference between the two boards?
  4. do you offer the ps2 remote to control robotic arm wirelessly?
  5. does the model listed above have included the base rotate kit? if not, can this be purchased?
  6. what are the overal dims of the selected model above?
  7. what voltage do we need for the robotic arm to operate? i read servos are 4.8v to 6V, can it be any voltage between those?
  8. is the programmable software a cd or via internet?
  9. is the max lift load 10oz or 11oz, i found two documents staying both 10 and 11.
  10. with all that being said, is this the best option/kit I would need? or is there another kit that provides all the above required? our budget is 3-400 dollars.

thank you
Jesse

@Jesse123 Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Regarding the following product:

1. there is an option for a bluetooth module, is this for remote capabilities or just to hook up to a computer via bluetooth?

Indeed. You just need a Bluetooth Bee like:

1. since this robotic arm will be used remotely, wirelessly, i am assuming i will need a battery pack, correct? if so, which one do i need?

Correct. The RC servos operate best at 6V (whereas a two cell LiPo provides ~7.4V which is too high). You can either use a 6V NiMh pack or a higher voltage pack and a voltage regulator.
Ex: 6V, 2800mAh, NiMH Battery - RobotShop
6.0 V DC Regulators - RobotShop
(Should be 3A or more output)

1. botboarduino vs. ssc-32u, which one is needed to work remotely via controller. again this will be mounted on an RC rover and be operated remotely from a distance. what is the difference between the two boards?

Simple difference:
BotBoarduino: Programmable microcontroller
SSC-32U: Dedicated servo controller (not programmable and you need to send it commands from a microcontroller or computer).

1. do you offer the ps2 remote to control robotic arm wirelessly?

Indeed: Lynxmotion PS2 Controller V4 - RobotShop
HOWEVER, this does NOT work with the SSC-32U - you need the BotBoarduino for that.
Lynxmotion AL5D 4 Degrees of Freedom Robotic Arm Combo Kit (BotBoarduino) - RobotShop

1. does the model listed above have included the base rotate kit? if not, can this be purchased?

Base rotate is included. The wrist rotation upgrade however is not (so by default the wrist can only tilt up and down).

1. what are the overall dims of the selected model above?

1. what voltage do we need for the robotic arm to operate? i read servos are 4.8v to 6V, can it be any voltage between those?

Yes, standard Hitec RC servos are used at each joint which operate at between 4.8V to 6V, where 6V is best (highest torque and speed).

1. is the programmable software a cd or via internet?

No CDs anymore. If you choose the BotBoarduino version, you’ll need to download and install the Arduino IDE, copy/paste the sample code to make the arm move. However, remember that it’s only “sample” code so it will be up to you to customize it as you see fit.

1. is the max lift load 10oz or 11oz, i found two documents staying both 10 and 11.

Depends on who measured it.

1. with all that being said, is this the best option/kit I would need? or is there another kit that provides all the above required? our budget is 3-400 dollars.

Honestly yes - assuming you’re looking for an articulated robotic arm. If you want PS2 control you’ll need the version with the BotBoarduino above. You’ll also need an appropriate harness for that battery since the standard arm assumes you’ll be using a barrel connector and wall adapter. Assemble the arm and get it operating using a computer and power supply, and then change the harness and attach it to your mobile base.The Tamiya harness:: WH-01 Wiring Harness with Battery Connector - RobotShop

1 Like

We have just gotten a 4DOF arm. When I power it on, the servos show white, green, then red and the power goes away. I have used the configuration program to scan for servos and it never finds any. I have verified that I have the correct COM port (3) selected.

Is there some sort of “circuit breaker” that is shutting power to the servos?

@pbchesson Welcome to the RobotShop Community. The color sequence is part of the servo boot process. You can see what all the colors mean here: LSS - Button Menu - XWiki
Note that after booting, the servo will show the user color (which by default is set to OFF). If you purchased the 4DoF in kit form, be sure to assign each of the servos the correct ID (already done if you purchased the assembled version).
Hope this helps.

1 Like

After this “boot sequence” the unit appears to have no power. When I run the Configuration Program, no action seems to have any effect. I can establish the “Com” port, but scanning for servos results in the message that no servos are found.

It looks like there is no power to the servos.

If the servos go through the boot sequence, that means they are correctly receiving power.
After a boot sequence, there would not be any LEDs on the servos.
Q1) Can you confirm if you received an assembled arm, or one which you needed to assemble component by component?
Q2) Can you provide some clear photos of your setup, especially a top view (or several) of the electronics (LSS adapter)?
It might be one of the following two issues:

• You have a new LSS Adapter and your computer is missing the right device drivers for the USB to serial chip (CH430 chip)
  • The LSS Adapter’s switch is set to the wrong mode (Arduino or XBee when it needs to be in USB mode).
1 Like

Our arm came assembled. At first it responded to Flow Arm commands, but I did not have the configuration software then.

In order to stabilize the arm, I fastened it to a piece of plywood. I had to remove the base shield (which had come assembled) to get at the screw holes. I disconnected one of the cables to do so. I put it back according to all the pictures, but that is the only thing I did that “might” affect the system.

I have taken some pictures with my phone camera. How can I send them to you?

Notice that you have the switch currently set to Arduino. If you want to communicate with the computer, it needs to be set to USB.

1 Like

Thanks very much. It works now.

1 Like