SyRen Regenerative Motor Driver : Used to drive a motor in both directions and recharge battery when an external torque spins motor

I am looking at the SyRen 10A 6V-24V Regenerative Motor Driver for my application. I’d like to use it so that I can essentially use a DC motor as a generator and motor. I need this driver to drive a 12V DC motor in both directions using a rechargeable battery source. When the motor is not being driven (shaft speed is zero), an external torque (e.g. a person turning the motor shaft by hand with help of a gearbox) will occasionally be applied and spin the motor shaft. I need the motor to act as a generator in this case, converting the input torque to electrical energy and sending it to the battery. Is this possible with a regenerative driver like this? It seems like a use-case that is similar to regenerative braking.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

See description here:
SyRen is the first synchronous regenerative motor driver in its class. The regenerative topology means that your batteries get recharged whenever you command your robot to slow down or reverse. SyRen also allows you to make very fast stops and reverses - giving your robot a quick and nimble edge.

I’m not sure if this function allows the battery to be recharge while the shaft of the motor would be rotated manually.

The best way to find out if this is possible would be probably to contact the manufacturer directly: [email protected]

Let me know how it goes since I’m interested too in the result.

1 Like

Sure, I’ll see if support can help me as well. I’ve been thinking more about how this would work…

The documentation says that recharging occurs whenever a motor reversal or deceleration is commanded. Using the motor’s encoder, the MCU can sense if the motor is turned manually, at which point the MCU can send a deceleration command to the motor driver and it will recharge the battery.

Seems logical to me. Any thoughts?

Hey!

Just found this, not sure if this help but there is a lot of interesting info.

https://www.roboteq.com/index.php/applications/100-how-to/160-understanding-regeneration