Stuck On my attempt to build a quadruped

Hello, over the last year I have been doing research on building a quadruped robot, specifically one with a gait more similar to a bug or a crab than something like a dog. Challenging, but I really wanted this to be my first robotics project.

Im stuck at the foundation of the robot, making it walk, designing how it walks. I could run out and buy or craft “props” I could use to study how such a robot should move it’s limbs as it walks, but that would be very expensive and time consuming. What I need, and haven’t found a name or resource for is a “dynamic simulation” application which allows me to create a 3D model of my device and analyze it’s motion.

Does anyone know of this software? I would prefer it be open source or available with some sort of student license, my funds are limited.

There might be a software for IK for a quadruped, but we have not found it. Consider FlowBotics Studio which has an application for just such a quad:
robotshop.com/en/flowbotics … nload.html

Quad with FlowBotics:
robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion … tudio.html

The best part about this is that you know it would work, so no money wasted. The design is modular so you can reuse it for future projects.

There are quite a few “scholarly articles” regarding quadruped gait analysis and inverse kinematics, but very few actually provide code (most are some general equations).

As a first robotics project, you’ll have quite a few obstacles to overcome:

]Calculation of the torque needed at each joint under various walking conditions/:m]
]Overall weight (quite low) including battery power/:m]
]Creation of a walking gait for either static or dynamic stability/:m]
Fortunately this forum has some of the best in this field (if you can get their attention and time): Kurte, Xan, Zenta.

Thanks a lot for your response CBenson. I’m going to review everything you advised this week and see what will be practical for my application. Thank you.