Steel gears vs titanium gears? how is the HSR-5980?

lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx? … egoryID=38

I plan to purchase 12 of these, but I noticed they arent titanium gears…i mean how much weaker are steel gears in comparison to titanium gears?

btw - how is the HSR-5980? is it a good servo? its not the one I heard fries is it? and does the aluminum horn come with the servo as pictured or does it come with a nylon horn?

what would you buy? the hsr-5990 or the hsr-5980…i wish there lyxnmotion has the 6 servo deals on these =/! plus, the 5980 has this big pivot thing on it…without the right tools to enlarge the holes, SES wouldnt be compatible with it would it? 5955 has a heatsink however, very cool, but does it have that pivot thing as well?

thanks guys!

I suspect that the primary difference between the steel gears and titanium ones will be weight (maybe a fraction of an ounce, for all the metal involved), rather than strength. In a situation where steel servo gears would be stripping out, it’s a pretty safe bet to say that the plastic case would let go first.

im wondering if the 5980 comes with the flat replacement backside? cause i dont have the tools to make SES brackets different for the pivot point. i saw in some japanese website that it does come with a flatside, anyone can confirm?

I agree with Seamus, the benefit is weight, not strength. Unless they are using 6Al-4V alloy, then the steel is probably stronger.

Yes the 5990 and 5980 have the normal base parts that can easily be installed. The big difference between the 5990 and the 5980 is the 5990 has a built in heat sink that the 5980 does not. I would get the 5990 if you plan to use the robot for longer than a few minutes at a time.

then im definitely purchasing the 5990.

im confused as to what this whole “runtime before cooldown” scenario is about. does the 5990 NOT run longer than the 5645 or other cheaper servos? will it start to heat up if it’s idle (eg. robot is standing waiting for commands)…i mean how long can you supply direct power to the 5990 before it gives up? i plan to use them constanty when debugging my program, not only for 5 minutes before they need to cool. is this making sense?

When the servos are powered they are heating up. The more load the faster they heat.

“m confused as to what this whole “runtime before cooldown” scenario is about. does the 5990 NOT run longer than the 5645 or other cheaper servos? will it start to heat up if it’s idle (eg. robot is standing waiting for commands)…i mean how long can you supply direct power to the 5990 before it gives up? i plan to use them constanty when debugging my program, not only for 5 minutes before they need to cool. is this making sense?”

Get the 5990. they are much cooler.
I let it run randomly for my project TWO hour straight.
It is pretty cool compare to other servo.

As for the 5990 and 5980.
They sound different when the servo moves… maybe it just my ear.

yes both come with the backside for changing flat or pivot for robot.

I hope that help you to make up your mind which to buy.

2 hours??? the 5990 was moving back and forth for 2 hours? i heard they need to be shutdown after 15 straight minutes of runtime.

and yes im going for the 5990

It all depends on how much work it’s doing… :unamused:

True that.

Servo manufacturer here. Old-ish thread bumped for further discussion.

Actually, Ti (titanium) isn’t as strong as people think ‘and’ it scratches easily (important because gears function by surfaces sliding against each other). Anyway, yes it’s true Ti has a higher tensile strength than steel - per mass - not by volume. This is important because as a practical matter - ounce for ounce - while a piece of Ti is stronger than a piece of steel, to get the ‘same’ strength as steel, that piece of Ti (e.g. a gear) will be larger than than the one made of steel. Digest that because if the gears are the same size, then the Ti-gear is actually weaker than the steel-gear! And with respect to the few grams difference in weight between Ti and steel gear sets, it’s only important in theory, not in the real world.

As background, Ti gained ‘street cred’ due to the SR-71 Blackbird because it captured the popular imagination - especially with aviation enthusiasts. However, there are other real world examples where cost-is-no-object - to include F1 racing transmissions. Guess what? Those gears are made of steel instead of Ti. Why? It’s because steel is more compact for the same strength and it’s not as brittle, which in case it’s not obvious, is exactly why we prefer steel for our servo gears!

Finally, the secret sauce for ensuring the tiny gear profiles within servos - regardless of whether the underlying material is Ti or steel - last a long time is a surface treatment (kind of like case hardening). So not only are steel gears better than Ti because it isn’t as brittle, but once you harden the wear surface of both alloys (ion or plasma nitriding) it no longer matter in the least what’s at the core because both are plenty hard enough to wear a long, long time. In fact, surface treatments are so effective we use them with aluminum alloys for gears as well and guess what? They give good service and last a long time also!

In closing, please allow me an analogy; in football, the halfback is generally more agile than the fullback because he’s lighter. Like a wear coating on Ti and steel, once both are armored with helmet and pads, both can survive the rigors of a hard fought football game. The difference come when you need 1-yard for a critical first down. The coach usually send the fullback to get it - steel is your fullback.

Last thing; if you want to get down in the weeds regarding the pros and cons of Ti vs. steel, you’re going to need a degree in Mechanical Engineering, plus a masters in Materials Engineering, plus you really have to digest something like the Handbook Of Mechanical Alloy Design by Dekker - this just to follow the conversation! My point isn’t to insult robotic hobbyist (many smarter than me) but to observe the ‘real’ reason for Ti gears within servos is because it’s great for getting rubes to reach for their wallets more quickly. Or put another way, marketing!