SSC32 Vs Torobot32

Good Day!

Has anybody had any success using a torobot servo controller with the Phoenix code instead of the SSC-32? I have one that a friend donated that i am hoping to use for a hexapod project …

I have done a cursory review and the command sequence is very similar for controlling servo positioning i.e. both the SSC-32 and the Torobot 32 use # P T …
The Torobot uses action group commands in the form of #G…#GC , but the only thing i noticed in the SSC-32 is a sequencer. I am not sure if they are the same.

Torobot32 controller manual can be found at letsmakerobots.com/files/32_Serv … Manual.pdf

I am just hoping to find someone with experience on this vs me wasting a bunch of time to find out that i will spend an inordinate amount of time recoding vs the cost of an SSC-32…

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Nope, have not tried it. You might try it, but first make sure to turn off binary mode as it probably does not support that. Also as you mentioned, it may not support the GP sequences, but not sure how many people have actually setup their own sequences any way…

hi KurtE,

I was hoping that you would respond… I have been snooping through your Github repo and right now am trying to decide which version of your code to try… i have the option of an Arduino(Nano, Uno, or Mega) and an RPi as the controller… which do you prefer? which would be easier for a noob such as myself to get going? right now i am leaning towards the RPi as i am hoping to build a Wifi android app as the controller and the RPi will be simpler & cheaper to put Wifi on…

Hard to say which version to try… :slight_smile:

I keep playing around with different versions at different times. Currently spending most of my time working(playing) with versions that work with a Teensy as the processor. I also try to keep the versions associated with the PhantomX up to date as several people use those. But a couple of months ago I was doing some more experimenting with the Linux versions. In particular in trying out converting the code base to use floating point math. Was mostly working I think, but then had some other stuff come up so was out of it for a bit. Currently spending time trying the floating point math on a Teensy 3.1 which is working mostly, still need to do more testing and fine tuning. I will then merge the fixes back into the floating point back on RPI(Linux) code base. Not sure which Linux box I will work with more on that. Do have a couple of RPi’s (one currently on T-Hex), but will probably use either the Beagle Bone Black (BBBk) or may use the ODrioid U3…

Kurt

Excellent!.. ok… I guess i will start putzing around with it and see what kind of trouble i can get into!

thanks

Hi Blaisun
Did you end up porting the Phoenix software to the Torobot 32? I’m about half way through the process (best guess) but no need to re-invent the wheel if you’ve already done it.
From what I can see is that the command sequences are almost the same except the USC-32 doesn’t have SPEED in it’s P commands (not really needed as we have TIME) or register access. I’m not sure if Kurt uses this in his code though I have seen some Alpha commands to get battery state and command status which I don’t think the USC-32 has. Basically I think I can replicate the servo “P” commands but doubt the rest.
So to proceed or not to proceed? It would be good to get your feedback on your journey so I can take the appropriate path.

Cheers Ken