SSC-32U not working

Today i received my SSC-32U servo controller, i connected a 5v 10a power supply to VS1. When i connect a servo to port 0 and send the following command (#0 P2500 T1000 linebreak) to the board via serial, nothing happens. I double checked for any shorts and there are none. I measure 5v between ground and vs1 at the servo header. I also measure 0v at the pulse header at servo 0. I can’t connect it to the utility software because it needs a driver and i cannot find any. Im really starting to think my controller board is a doa. Is there anything i can do to check the board is not dead. Am i making a mistake here somewhere?

@willy1994 Welcome to the RobotShop Community. Can you send a few clear photos of your setup, as well as the code you use?

• Connect the red (positive) terminal from the power supply to the + terminal of VS1
  • Connect the black (negative) terminal from the power supply to the - terminal of VS1
  • Connect the RC servo to pin 3 (random number) of the SSC-32U, ensuring that the black (GND) wire is on the outside of the board
  • Connect the USB cable and ensure the computer detects the board and installs the FTDI VCP drivers
  • In your code, ensure the right baud rate is specified and the COM port properly set up.
  • A test command would be something like “#3P700

The FTDI VCP (Virtual COM Port) USB to serial driver can be found here: VCP Drivers - FTDI

I connected it to NodeMcu via Serial (yellow is rx and orange is tx). I confirmed the NodeMcu gets the 5v and common ground. It runs the following arduino code.

void setup() {
   Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("#3P500");
  delay(2000);
  Serial.println("#3P2500");
  delay(2000);
}

I downloaded the drivers and now device manager recognizes it. But still when i turn servo number 3 in the utility software, nothing happens.

Appreciated.

Note that you have wires connected to VS2 (which powers the second row of pins 16 to 31, if one power supply is insufficient for all 32), but at the same time you have the VS1 = VS2 jumpers in place.

Your baud rate seems correct (SSC-32U default is 9600, and unless you pressed the baud rate button by accident, that’s what it should be). You can verify this by following the procedure on page 34 here under Baud:

The command “Serial.println” should automatically add a carriage return, so the command looks valid. The servo is connected in the right way, to the right pin. You seem to have common ground with the microcontroller via VS2.

The question then goes to the NodeMcu itself - does it accept Arduino code directly? based on their website, the pins require setup:

You can test to see if the SSC-32U works correctly using any serial terminal configured to 9600 baud. Did the FTDI drivers work? Does your computer detect it? If you do that test, disconnect the NodeMcu completely.

Thank you for your reply, the NodeMcu accepts arduino code, i have done many projects using one and im pretty sure everything is okay on that side. I double checked it with a known working one i have laying around. The baud rate on the SSC-32u is on 9600, i checked it via the green and red led (both on).

I connected the NodeMcu to VS2 because it had a nice terminal available, i double checked if the jumper was okay and VS2 has 5v.
My computer detects the the board (without anything connected to it, besides external power and a servo).

Is there anything else i can do to check if the board is properly working?

The main step is to just connect the SSC-32U to the computer, download and run the SSC-32 sequencer:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-895-free-download-ssc-32-servo-sequencer-utility-created-using-flowbotics-studio.aspx
The SSC-32U should only have power to the VS1 connected, the USB cable and the servo.
Disconnect the NodeMcu completely from VS2 and the serial pins.
In the software, choose the right COM port and 9600 baud rate and then see if you can move servo 3.