Ssc-32u not found by PLTW or servo sequence utility

3 hours of work and still can’t get the software to find the ssc-32u. It is able to find the comm port, there is power to the ssc, have tried 9600, 115200 and bluetooth setting. Auto light still blinking on the software. Rebooted multiple times. Tried all the different permutations of usb connected first, power on first, software opened first. Rehecked the connections multiple times. RX LED next to the usb is flashing, power LED is on and the A LED is flashing. I have been through every troubleshooting post and guide I can find. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting RobotShop.

Please follow these troubleshooting step to resolve this issue:

1. Please disconnect everything from the SSC-32U, including power cables, USB, servomotors, etc. Then, open the Device Manager (under Control Panel) and expand the “Ports (COM & LPT)” category.

2. Connect the USB cable to the SSC-32U and your computer. A device should show up under this category with a COM port number at the end of the name. Note down that COM port number.
    If the device does not show up (installed / with COM port number) but instead in a different category or with a yellow triangle then the drivers are not found or installed properly. If that is the case, please install the drivers found here:ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.08.30%20WHQL%20Certified.zip
    You may have to manually update the drivers of the device if Windows does not do it automatically. If you have any issues with this step, please reply to us with more details ab out which version of Windows you are using.
    Please also take note of the VID & PID of the device and paste it in your reply. See the attached image for more details.

3. Once the drivers are installed / working and you have a COM port number for the board, please power the board appropriately as mentioned in the SSC-32U manual on page 15-16:lynxmotion.com/images/data/lynxmotion_ssc-32u_usb_user_guide.pdf#page=15
    The USB port only powers the USB interface, not the on-board electronics. This needs to be powered by a different power source (usually 6 V DC on VS1 in standard Lynxmotion kits).
    Once powered, please press the BAUD button once (release quickly) near the Bee socket & USB port. If powered properly, the green LED A should blink rapidly for a few seconds (red LED B should be off).
    If you are unsure how to wire this properly or if the green LED A does not blink (or both LEDs stay off), please provide us with one or more pictures clearly showing all connections & jumpers on your SSC-32U board and details on what happen when you pressed the BAUD button.

4. Please download our free diagnostic tool, Lynxterm, available here: lynxmotion.com/p-567-free-download-lynxterm.aspx
    With the software installed and the SSC-32U powered, please start Lynxterm. Click the SETUP button on the top left and change the COM port to the one found in step #2. Also, change the baud rate to 9600.
    Once connected, type “VER” followed by return in the black text box below. The board should respond with its firmware version. If not, then it may not be powered properly.

5. If everything worked up to now, please disconnect Lyxnterm and close it. Then, start the SSC-32 sequencer. Set the COM port to OFF. Change the baud rate to 9600. Then, set the COM port to the number found in step #2. After a few seconds, the FOUND light should turn solid green.

Let us know how these steps go and please provide any additional information as needed.

Sincerely,

Everything worked until step 4. No response front VER. by"powered properly", what are you referring to?

I am using a 6V wall adapter, M-62000. I appears to be wired correctly. THe blue LED comes on and stays on. The VS/VL jumper is absent and the VS1/VS2 jumper is present but that doesn’t seem to be relevant.
Thanks

I am having this exact same issue with all 8 of mine. I have been trying all of these procedures on numerous ssc-32u and computers.

Is there any way this is a driver issue?
I had to use the FTDI driver. I’m not sure how to identify it.
There are 4 drivers listed under COM10, which is where the connection is.
Thanks

Please follow these steps (see the attached image for details):

]Open Device Manager and open the Ports (COM & LPT) category./:m]
]Disconnect the SSC-32U from the computer./:m]
]Reconnect the SSC-32U to the computer by USB. Note the COM port number that shows up./:m]
]Double-click this COM port to open the Properties window./:m]
]Go to Details tab./:m]
]Change the Property drop-down to Hardware Ids./:m]
]Right-click the Value and select Copy./:m]
]Paste this value in your reply./:m]

COM10
FTDIBUS\COMPORT&VID_0403&PID_6001

Please provide us with one or more pictures clearly showing all connections (including power connections) & jumpers on your SSC-32U board.

Also, please try to reprogram the FT232R chip with a different product ID (PID) to prevent drivers issues.
For example, one could reprogram the FT232R with a PID of F460 (default is 6001) and use these drivers instead.

Doing this would require the FT_PROG utility from FTDI, available here.

Sincerely,

P.-S.: Please see the attached images for an example of the FT_Prog steps. The numbering might differ.

Thank you so much. This solved my problems.

That solved the problem.
Thank you.