SQ3U Quadruped change from PS2 to Bluetooth control

Hi,

My ps2 controller broke and I want to convert the sq3u quad to bluetooth control. I need some info:

1. BT xbee modules. there are many and I need to know ONLY ONE to use. Which is the best choice? Robotshop and dfrobot only offer 3 different ones. 2 are dfrobot xbee one is BLE the other is not. Then they also have an xbee bt module.

2. When setting up. It seems that both providers are the ABSOLUTE worst when it comes to instructions, tutorials, and info
    —I litteraly spent a couple hours trying to configure a wifi bee EXACTLY from the instructions. The instructions are incomplete, incorrect, ancient software, and do not work. They omit many very important details. So when you try their examples they do not work until you scour the internet to figure out their mistakes. Very frustrating.

I would love any other site than this where I can get a working tutorial to set up the xbee bluetooth, I also have the wifi bee which I can’t get to work from their instructions and tutorials.

1. The SSC32U has the xbee socket so can I connect there or do I have to get a shield or use wires and connect the xbee to the botboarduino?

2. Can I switch out the Botboarduino for a Bluno instead and use the BT off the microcontroller? The code says it is written for the Due(botboarduino) so can I port it to the bluno? I assume it has to do with the memory maybe processing.

Any help would be appreciated

@etothex23 Welcome to the RobotShop Community!

1. BT xbee modules. there are many and I need to know ONLY ONE to use. Which is the best choice? Robotshop and dfrobot only offer 3 different ones. 2 are dfrobot xbee one is BLE the other is not. Then they also have an xbee bt module.

Proven to be pretty good and reliable:

1. When setting up. It seems that both providers are the ABSOLUTE worst when it comes to instructions, tutorials, and info — I literally spent a couple hours trying to configure a wifi bee EXACTLY from the instructions. The instructions are incomplete, incorrect, ancient software, and do not work. They omit many very important details. So when you try their examples they do not work until you scour the internet to figure out their mistakes. Very frustrating.

You mean Bluetooth? Ideally the one above you can just leave in default settings.

1. The SSC32U has the xbee socket so can I connect there or do I have to get a shield or use wires and connect the xbee to the botboarduino?

The SSC-32U doesn’t have any onboard programming - it simply handles repeating the RS pulses. You can offload the walking algorithm onto a computer and send the position signals wirelessly, but if you had the PS2 version previously, that code was on the BotBoarduino.

1. Can I switch out the Botboarduino for a Bluno instead and use the BT off the microcontroller? The code says it is written for the Due(botboarduino) so can I port it to the bluno? I assume it has to do with the memory maybe processing.

Welcome to the world of custom robotics where anything can be done. Try to run the code as is, and if you get errors, see if you can resolve them and… as most have to do, research how to change them for the new board.

If you want to consider a new PS2 controller:

1 Like

Alright, I have given up on DFRobots Wifi bee ESP V.1. The tutorial DOES NOTWORK. I have used both a MAC and PC. XTCU software never finds Bee when using a Dongle. Wifi bee does not connect when using FTDI serial interface. The instructions are not valid. If you read them they do not make sense.
product: https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1279.html

instructions: https://wiki.dfrobot.com/SKU_TEL0092_WiFi_Bee-ESP8266_Wirelss_module

Nothing is clear as to how to “configure” then how to use as a wifi module. Cannot get any of this towork

The XTCU software is meant for OEM XBee modules - the DFRobot Bluetooth module and WiFi module only has the same pinout. For the WiFi module, the instructions seem to indicate using the following software:

• Coolterm
  • Arduino
  • TCP/IP Net Assistant V3.8
  • ESP_Flasher

I recall when the ESP8266 was brought to the attention of the robotics community: by far the least expensive WiFi chip on the market, but almost zero documentation. People wer persistent and ultimately hacked it. These days much of the documentation has been prepared by the community and recycled / updated by manufacturers.

If you’d still like to give that module a shot, you might post exactly where the procedure fails on the DFRobot Community, though there are already many, many pages worth of discussions about that module: https://www.dfrobot.com/forum/